Galway Girl: Mathi’s Guide to Galway Cuisine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Hello fellow collegiettes! This semester I am studying abroad in Galway, Ireland, and so far it is has been absolutely amazing! Like any new experience I have had to do some adapting, one of the biggest things I have had to adjust to so far is having to cook for myself. I would have never thought that I would miss going to Barone every day, but I actually do. Obviously, since I am abroad the last thing I want to do is spend my money on food. Instead I’m learning how to eat (and cook) on budget with an Irish twist, of course.

Breakfast:For breakfast you can’t go wrong with porridge, which is very similar to our oatmeal. At Dunnes (the local grocery store here) you can pick any two types of fruit for 5 euro. So add some strawberries and blueberries to the porridge, and you have a great breakfast that will have you fully energized for classes.

Lunch:

If you don’t feel like making lunch you can’t go wrong with getting some vegetable soup, which is more like stew here. You can get a cup of soup and bread for less than 4 euro…what’s better than delicious food for cheap?!

Dinner:

Galway is located right on the water on the west coast of Ireland, so naturally it is a fishing city. This is great because salmon is very reasonably priced! So for dinner you can run to pretty much any store in the city buy some salmon, rice and asparagus, and you’ll have dinner that is restaurant worthy!

For the Sweet Lover:

If you are anything like me, and you need a fix for your cravings from time to time its important to be able to have access to something with chocolate! Luckily, I have discovered that at any grocery store, or convenience store, they have delicious chocolate cookies (or biscuits as they are called here) for only 1 euro! So far they have been perfect for my sweet tooth.

I hope that any visitor or study abroad student finds this guide to Irish cuisine helpful and delicious!

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.