The Dos and Don’ts of Dying your Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Every girl feels like they need a change once in a while. Sometimes you get bored of the same old hair color you’ve had your whole life and want to switch it up, sometimes you need to transition your appearance along with the seasons and sometimes you just are in dire need of a color or highlight to freshen your look. Whatever your reason might be, you should know how to go about it properly! Be creative, be daring, and be flirty, but don’t get too wild. Since my mom is a hairdresser, I am well aware of all the dos and don’ts of hair dying, so here are some of the surefire ways to make sure that your next trip to the hairdresser is a successful one!

Do: Stick to natural tones.Don’t: Add yellow, blue, green, purple, magenta, aquamarine, fuchsia, or orange.Less is more! It might seem fun at the time, but you might get tired of it quickly. And keep in mind, it’s the time of year of job and internship interviews. 

Do: Be sure to choose a highlight color that is close to your natural color and have your hairdresser blend them in.Don’t: Get thick bleach blonde streaks in your dark brown hair.Highlights are tricky. If the hairdresser isn’t totally familiar with giving them, they can sometimes turn out disastrous. They should look natural and blend in, as if the sun put them there. They are made to lighten up your hair, add depth and texture, not to make you look like a skunk…(sorry Kelly Clarkson). 

Do: Make sure you keep up with it!Don’t: Try to do your own ombré and let your hair turn into two different colors.Seriously, growth is not cute. In order to convince everyone that you just naturally are blessed with an amazing hair color, you can’t let anyone get the chance to call your bluff! Keep up with it and never let your highlights get too grown out so no one will ever know ;)

Do: Make sure you aren’t dying it every other week.Don’t: Change your hair color like you change your underwear.Your hair will begin to have the same consistency as hay and, worst of all, you will, without a doubt, be losing your hair by the age of 26. So chose one color and stick with it for a little, it will be better in the long run, trust me. 

Do: Do what makes you feel beautiful!Don’t: Change your look to please anyone else!It’s your hair so you own the rights to dye it whatever color you want, whether that be multi-colored or one tone. If you like the way you look on the outside, you will be sure to feel good on the inside too, so dye away Stags, just make sure you stick to the rules!

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!