Ciao Bella: The Best Places to Visit in Italy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Monterosso al Mare, Cinque Terre: 

Cinque Terre is made up of 5 (cinque) small villages off the coast of the Italian Riviera that are known for their rugged landscapes and beautiful views. Monterosso was my favorite of the five for it’s beautiful beach, friendly people, and crystal clear blue water!  You can also hike from one town to the other, ending the hike at the opening of the beach.  What an awesome feeling once it’s all said and done!

Positano, Amalfi Coast:

The Amalfi Coast is one of the more tropical Italian tourist destinations. They are well known for their production of Limón cello liqueur and their MASSIVE lemons.  (Seriously, they were about the size of my head) They tasted so fresh, sweet and delicious! Positano is specifically known for their brightly colored houses on the hills throughout the town. This is an awesome place to go to relax on the beach, take a boat ride and even swim in some caves!

Venice:

Ah, Venice. Venice can be described in one single word: “magical”.  Venice is unique in that it is so small and the people are very tight knit. The town also runs on the basis of bridges, rivers, and canals. It is very seldom that you will see a car during a stay in Venice, which is kind a nice change. Of course, a gondola ride is a must to check off your bucket list.  Who doesn’t want to get serenaded by a friendly Italian named Paolo while boating down the river? 

Florence, Italy (Obviously):

Florence is a small city in the Tuscan region of Italy, known for its rich history, architecture, and steak…come here just for the steak, and it very well may change your life.  Although it is small it still has that urban city feel while being rustic, historical and beautiful at the same time, and is a prime study abroad option (if I do say so myself).  I mean who wouldn’t love to have this view every day:

And don’t worry about the fact that I omitted Rome, that’s the next stop! 

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.