Celebrities Photoshopping their Instagrams Creates False Hope for Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Beyoncé

The pressure to look like celebrities is overwhelming, especially for the young women of today. Their perfect lives, ripped bodies, flawless skin, and impeccable clothing are things we all look up to. It is even harder to ignore these facts in today’s society, because this superficiality surrounds us everyday on social media. But, consider this: what if they are lying to us?

So many of us follow celebrities on Instagram and Twitter because we get a glimpse into their private lives. Most of the time, we like following celebrities because it seems to provide a snapshot into their personalities without all of the lies of the media. We see their pictures as much more candid and real. Well we have been duped, girls. The secret has been uncovered: their Instagrams are being photoshopped! Feeling betrayed? I certainly am.

Kim Kardashian

When rumors that my all-time favorite singer/person/woman/human, Beyoncé, revealed that she supposedly edited her Instagram posts, I was obviously super hurt and distraught. I thought this couldn’t be true. But alas, I was wrong and was forced to succumb to the fact that my idol and inner spirit was lying to me! I was hurt to discover that her beautiful body, which I had longed for and only eaten salad after, and her butt that I had done endless squats and lunges to get, was only “mostly” real. (But to clarify, I still love her.)

Surprisingly, Queen B is not the only celebrity to be caught in the act of photoshopping. Celebrities aren’t actually that good at it. In almost all pictures that have been “defrauded” and “exposed”, there was some sort of distortion in the background that ironically follows the same curves as those on their amazing bods.

Kim Kardashian is one culprit who really needs to settle down with the photoshop enhancements. If her butt gets any bigger and her waist gets any smaller, she’s going to break in half. Britney Spears and Miranda Kerr are also both guilty of altering photos of themselves before Instagramming.

Miranda Kerr

The biggest problem with this trend of enhanced Instagram photos is that most girls don’t know, think, or care that they are photoshopped. They still see that body type as being “perfect” and would do anything to look like that. These celebrities are also sending a message that being you, being real, and having flaws is not acceptable. That to look, feel and be seen as beautiful, you must fit a certain criteria and make yourself as small as possible. The fakeness and unnatural portrayal of a woman’s body is detrimental to other young woman. Celebrities should be positive and realistic role models for their fans, not fake photo shopped stick figures. All bodies are beautiful and woman should be confident with however they are built, and that is the message these celebrities need to start sending!

Follow Alana on Twitter!

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.