The Best Way to Work in a Group When Everyone Has Hectic Schedules

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

With finals season approaching, there’s a relatively high chance that you’ll be crafting plenty of PowerPoints and other presentations with groups of people that you may have never spoken to prior to being placed in a group together. Syncing up schedules is usually more challenging than work itself, though. Take these tips to tackle scheduling end-of-semester group projects with ease.

1. Reserve study rooms

With a set reservation, you have an obligation to spend at least a little bit of time in the library, likely encouraging your group members to do the same.

2. Work in advance

As easy as it is to save things until the absolute last minute, starting early and spreading out the work allows for a greater chance of finding a time between when the work is assigned and the due date when everyone can work together. Also, planning multiple sessions prevents busy group members from missing crucial stages in creating your presentation.

3. Meet right before or after class

If your professor gives you time to work on your project in class, then you’ve caught a major break. Unfortunately, this isn’t a reality very often. Instead, plan a meeting directly before or after your class, even if it’s only for a few minutes, to touch base with your group members while you’re already together.

4. Do your fair share

There’s nothing worse than a group member who drops the ball on their portion of the assignment and a lack of time to meet sometimes causes people to put the assignment off or forget altogether. By at least getting your share done, if work goes uncompleted, the responsibility won’t fall on you.

5. Utilize Google Drive

By creating and sharing documents using Docs, Slides, etc., it’s way easier to get a project done without having to actually meet up, if everyone is actually that busy.

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant