This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

With the beginning of the spring season comes quite possibly the most exciting time of the year in terms of fashion—Spring Fashion month!  As fashion’s biggest names display their latest collections across the style capitals of NYC, London, Milan, and Paris, the ~fashion-obsessed~ everywhere are given a sneak peak of some soon-to-be major trends.  

Despite still having a few days left of NYFW shows, designers have already blown the world away with awe-inducing, bold looks as seen on our favorite models such as Bella Hadid and Kaia Gerber.  Here are some of the shows that have fashion critics everywhere totally obsessed.

1. Prabal Gurung

Politics made a rather bold entrance in the fashion industry this season as it made its mark on the Prabal Gurung Fall 2018 show. Dating back to the Golden Globes, when many celebrities wore all black in support of the Time’s Up movement to bring an end to sexual harassment and gender inequality, there has been the question of whether or not celebrities should wear all black to the upcoming Oscars. Fashion has been avoiding this controversial issue, but the Prabal Gurung show boldly addressed it.  Prior to his show, Gurung expressed his respect for the solidarity of wearing black, but also his strong belief that women should not suppress their sense of self, insinuating that color and vibrancy is a powerful way to display strength.  This collection is comprised of bold, bright colored pieces of a variety of prints, patterns, and fabrics alluding to this underlying theme of self-expression.

2. Oscar de la Renta

Oscar de la Renta made a beautiful, fresh statement this NYFW with its reveal of chic, conservative, feminine looks.  This season had a very large focus on conservative pieces, as many of the designs are less revealing than past trends and in a way allude to vintage styles.  There is a strong focus on beauty and femininity as flowers inspired many of the looks.  In accordance to De la Renta’s past design history, his eveningwear was definitely the strongest among the collection.

3. Carolina Herrera

In honor of Herrera’s final fashion show, the designer put forth a remarkable show that entirely embodied all that the brand stands for.  Herrera has always been fond of 3D, tremblant embroideries and this is depicted through her designs.  There was also a large presence of whimsical, wildcat prints in replacement of Herrera’s past seen floral designs.  The collection’s finale embodied the power of simplicity as it consisted of a parade of white button-downs, wide belts, bold taffeta ball skirts, and evening slippers.

4. Alexander Wang

For the brand’s Fall 2018 Ready-to-Wear show, Wang’s curated designs were extremely chic yet very edgy. One of the major accessories seen on several of Wang’s models were black tinted sunglasses.  The show included symbols of everyone’s favorite accessories of the 20th-century corporate life such as: Nineties nylon Prada backpacks, giant plastic hair clips, and platinum cards.  Models were sophistically dressed as #girlbosses, wearing tailored black jackets, sheer black stockings, and bold pumps—all alluding to the modern power of women.

Shae Cronin is a recent class of 2020 graduate from Fairfield University where she majored in Communication and double minored in Graphic Design and Public Relations. Throughout her four years at Fairfield, Shae served as a Contributing Writer as well as Trendsetter Tuesday Writer for HCFU. Along with her involvement in Her Campus, Shae has interned with The Impression, Kerri Rosenthal, and Michele Marie PR. She has a great sense of editing, writing, marketing and graphic design as well as strong interpersonal skills. She enjoys tacos, traveling, and everything fashion. Follow Shae on Instagram @shaecronin13 and check out her personal style blog: https://styledbyshae.com !
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com