Adele’s Emotional Grammy Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

On Sunday evening, many witness true Grammy  moments at the 59th Grammy Awards.  These moments featured the songstress, Adele.  From an emotional tribute to George Michael to praising Queen Bey, lets unpack the night.  Shall we?

Adele’s Grammy night started when she opened the show by singing her hit “Hello”.  All eyes were on Adele to make sure nothing went wrong with her performance.

Viewers who tuned in last year can recall that Adele had an issue on the Grammy stage.  After the performance, Adele tweeted out to her fans explaining that the piano microphones dropped and the guitar was the sound that many heard.

This time while paying tribute to George Michael by singing his song “Fastlove”, she abruptly stopped, cursed and asked for a do over.

According to the New York Times, Adele stopped the song when she realized her vocals were off key. 

Adele didn’t want a repetition from last year, so she apologized and asked to start again.

“I’m sorry, I can’t mess this up for him. I’m sorry. I can’t. I’m sorry for swearing — I’m really sorry. I’m sorry, Ken.”  Ken Ehrlich was the producer for the telecast.

Once she finished she received a standing ovation even though she looked disappointed.   After the performance she was awarded with both album of the year and record of the year.  During her acceptance speech she apologized again for cursing during the song and thanked many who have helped her along the way.  

During her acceptance speech she gave thanks to Beyoncé for her work and her impact as an artist.

According to the Guardian, Adele addresses Beyoncé in her speech by stating,

“You are our light. And the way that you make me and my friends feel, the way you make my black friends feel, is empowering. And you make them stand up for themselves. And I love you. I always have and I always will.”

For more on all things Adele follow her on Twitter at @Adele.

Hi my name is Alejandra Arias and I am the Executive Feature Editor for Her Campus Fairfield
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.