7 Ways to De-stress on Campus During the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Well it’s that time of year again. Christmas music playing everywhere you go, your favorite holiday drinks are available again, and all your favorite holiday movies are on every channel. Who doesn’t love the holiday season? The answer is college students, because the holiday season also means the end of the semester and dreaded finals week. This season brings sleepless nights, long days, and endless stress. During this high stakes and stressful time, it’s more important than ever to find ways to calm down and take a step back. To help here are 7 ways to de-stress during the end of the semester. 

Make a list Thinking about all of the assignments you have to do and exams you have to prepare for can be overwhelming, but often times if you write down what needs to get done it can make everything seem more manageable. So make a list and check it twice! Also be sure to write down all of the times and locations of your final exams so you can pace yourself and do a bit each day instead of trying to cram at the last minute.

Take a walk Getting fresh air and exercise is a great way to take a break and get some perspective. Whether you just walk around our beautiful campus or head to the beach and walk on the sand, stepping away even for just a little while can make a huge difference. 

Dance it out Whenever my friends and I are overwhelmed with work, we immediately turn on Spotify, start singing and dancing, and it always makes us feel better. So, blast those holiday hits and have yourself an impromptu dance party. 

Sleep It is so important to get enough sleep. While an all-night study secession might seem like a good idea, lack of sleep limits your ability to learn, listen, and concentrate. So put down the coffee or five-hour-energy and catch some zzzs.

Hang out with your friends Laughter is the best medicine, and when you’re stressed it can be the only thing keeping you from completely losing it. So be sure to make time for your friends, even if you’re just grab a quick meal together. Remember that everyone is going through the same thing and that we’re all in this together.

Remind yourself that YOU CAN DO THIS! The power of positivity is a strong force and confidence is the key to success. Take time to remind yourself that you can and will make it through finals. Look up some inspiring quotes or watch a motivational speech on YouTube. You’ll be surprised how much giving yourself a little pep talk will help.

Remember that it will end Finals week can feel like an eternity but remember that it will all be over soon enough. Eventually you will be done with all of the essays, assignments and exams and you can head home and enjoy the holidays without any deadlines hanging over your head. So let’s buckle down and grind it out for the next few weeks because once it’s over we can really relax…until next semester when we get to do it all over again!

Grace Cannon

Fairfield '20

Grace is a Communications Major at Fairfield University searching for the meme-ing of life. She lives by a Tom Haverford quote "Sometimes you gotta work a little so you can ball a lot" and enjoys the 1987 film Dirty Dancing. 
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant