3 Things We Took For Granted as Kids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

In this very moment, we are no longer children, pre-teens or teenagers- we are young adult women. While being a collegiette certainly has its perks, nostalgia always has a way of hitting us. When this happens, it becomes apparent that there are things that every collegiette misses from their childhood when embracing their college journey.

1. Being Taken Care of When You Are Sick

Whether it is the common cold or a simple headache, most collegiettes quickly jump to the conclusion that her sickness is some form of the Black Plague. Having our parents tell us we should stay home and rest while homemade chicken noodle soup is on the stove waiting to be delivered in bed is something that is forever missed. These luxuries are replaced with cafeteria cuisine, minimal unexcused absences without penalty, and walking to the Health Center regardless of how cold it is outside.

2. Having Endless Naps…Without the Consequences

Many of us have mastered the technique of power napping in between classes or before a night out with our friends. However, the naps that we take now are nothing compared to the deep slumbers we enjoyed as children. Back then we could nap for hours without the consequences of sleeping through an alarm and missing a test or having to pull an all-nighter to make up for lost time we should have spent writing that paper. 

3. Careless Eating

It’s always nice reminiscing about the days as kids when eating a pound of candy followed by sugary rainbow colored drinks was an everyday routine. Now, being healthy is a major priority, so while we eat our veggies more willingly than before, we still miss substantial homemade cooking and the sweets we once consumed guilt-free.

Although we may miss these childhood delights, growing up is a beautiful thing. By moving through these stages of life, from our kindergarten days to college years, we realize how important it is to appreciate being able take a walk down memory lane. As we visit the things that every collegiette misses from their childhood, it becomes clear that although these things may have been overlooked as children, they are absolutely appreciated now.

Camille Giacovas is a sophomore at Fairfield University with an International Studies major and an English minor with a concentration in Professional Writing.  She dreams of traveling the world and she strongly believes in the power of living a positive life. She is a lover of hot yoga, running and finding the little things in life that bring her joy. Her mornings would not be complete without a chai tea latte. 
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.