10 Things Every Fairfield Gal Should Know Before Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

To all underclass(wo)men,

First of all, I’m extremely jealous. But soon, you’ll be like me and everyone will be asking you “So, what are you going to do after graduation?” This is the worst! Please people, don’t remind me of the “g” word.

I’m sure you have people in your life aside from parents and family members, only a year or two older than you trying to impart all this wisdom on you about life, college, relationships, your career, etc, but I’m really not trying to do that. I just want to share some of the things I’ve learned in college so far. Hopefully they’re helpful or if anything, relatable!

1. New friends

We all have our “people” from freshman year. It’s amazing if you can keep the same group intact for more than a few years, but don’t limit yourself! When you go to that random pregame or get lunch with your neighbors on your floor, you’re doing the best thing possible for yourself. They may even become part of your core group, which will make everything more fun and exciting.

2. Drama

Drama happens and it’s the worst. It’d be amazing if we never had to deal with it! Try to end it as quick as possible by being the bigger person and talking it out. That usually doesn’t fail, but if it does, just try to stay above it and not get caught up in it or it can really affect you.

3. Events, events, and more events!

In the moment, an event like Pres Ball might not sound like the coolest thing to do, but events like that only happen once a year and you only have four chances to go! Get all your friends on board, get ready all together, and get up that hill to Bellarmine Mansion and DANCE! Always try and do new things, because college only happens once!

4. Campus? Haven’t heard that name in years!

By senior year, if you’re living at the beach, you might find yourself realizing that you’re not on campus much anymore (aside from when you go to class). Getting involved on campus is awesome, because it makes you go back and feel like you’re still a part of the Fairfield community!  Being on FUSA, having an on-campus job, going to mass, or even just attending a weekly club meeting are all great ways to stay involved and active! Remember, you’re going to miss it when it’s all over!

5. Senioritis is REAL

Get your GPA up before senior year because senioritis is a real thing. Honestly, no one wants to work their butt off during senior year, especially second semester. Laying on the beach and going out on Tuesdays end up sounding far more appealing than doing homework. If you have that GPA, you’ll be more than good to go! This statement was most definitely not approved by Fairfield University.

6. Keep an open mind!

Being open-minded to new people, experiences, and ideas is SO important in college. Saying “yes” to the impossible spin class, to the advanced math class, or to boy who’s been wanting to take you out can make all the difference. The worst that could happen is you won’t like it and you don’t do it again!

7. Life is better at the beach!

You’re at Fairfield! Why aren’t you at the beach?! Well, it might be because you don’t live there yet, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be there every warm weekend. Yes, it’s sometimes challenging/annoying to get there at the right time or before the festivities on the point end, but everybody goes, and so do you! It’s always a good time at Fairfield beach! Don’t ever miss a #pointday!

8. Food…everywhere!

After being in the area for a few years and even if you’re just in your freshman year, you’ve probably found some amazing spots to eat in Fairfield. The Stag bus can even get you to some of them if you don’t have a car on campus. Firehouse Deli, Pronto, Chef’s Table, Molto, Wild Rice, Centro, and Colony Grill pizza could literally move you to tears. Good quality, yummy, and sometimes even healthy food is so close by. Take advantage of all of it!

9. “It’s up to you, New York, Neeeew York!”

Did you know Manhattan is only a little bit over an hour train ride away from Fairfield? You probably did know that, but if you’re like a lot of people here, you may not be going as often as you can/should be! Fairfield students can even get discounted Broadway tickets, which is crazy and a reason in itself to head down to the city. If you’re not one of the Westchester/Long Island/Northern Jersey natives, NYC being so close is actually amazing.

10. Don’t freak out!

It’s going to be ok. Life happens. It won’t be fun in the moment, but you WILL be ok and it’ll all work out. Some great advice would be to think before you react to something. Remember that one now, and always, especially if you’re quick to react/fight back like some of us!

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com