This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

As September approaches so does the takeoff time for those lucky enough to be studying abroad this fall semester. The thought of packing for a six month period of time can seem daunting and so Christina Madden and I decided to put together a little list of things to make sure not to forget!

Cold Climate – If you’re traveling to England, Ireland, Switzerland, or any other region with a slightly lower thermostat. 

1. Cozy Knits – Repeat after me, “Layers are my best friend!” It’s up to you, though I recommend having at least a couple options as the weather likes to fluctuate. Think cardigans, pullovers, and cotton tees that can be dressed up and down.

2. An Umbrella – Especially if you’re planning to travel to either Ireland or England – an umbrella is a must! Look for one that can be easily folded down so it’s easier to bring with you on the go.

3. A Backpack – Speaking of being on the go, a backpack will be even more useful than you think. Whether it’s your run of the mill North Face or a smaller, purse style option– both will allow you to bring more without one shoulder suffering! If you’re planning any day trips it will prevent you from having to lug around a duffel bag as well!

4. Sunscreen/Bug Spray – Even though where you are may not be as warm as Fairfield beach in September doesn’t’t mean you don’t need your SPF! Many even say that it’s more important to wear sunscreen when it’s cloudy as that’s when the sun is at its strongest. The same goes for bug spray – the little pests love a damp climate so be sure to stock up!

5. Wellingtons/Boots – A comfortable pair of boots may be the most important thing to bring with you. You can either bring a weather treated leather pair or your favorite wellies, as long as they’re prepared to work in many weather conditions! Plus they dress up any outfit!

Warm Climate – Whether it be Florence, Australia, or in one of the tropics of South America!

1. Sunglasses – In many places you will travel to, there may be beaches and place to hike. You never want to be blinded or have your eyes burned by the strong sun, so make sure you bring along some sun glasses!

2. Hat – On many days weather you are on a beach, in the mountains, or in a city, you will want a hat. Before hopping on the plane, make sure you bring your favorite style that has a wide brim!

3. Comfortable Sandals  – There will be many opportunities for you to explore different towns and cities throughout your time abroad! You want to make sure that you don’t get any blisters from your shoes! Make sure to bring sandals that are made for walking, won’t let your feet get too hot, and will not give you blisters. If they are a new pair of sandals, MAKE SURE TO BREAK THEM IN BEFORE YOU LEAVE!

4. Bathing Suit – You know that at some point along the way, you will be able to jump into the water! You definitely do not want to forget a bathing suit… or two!

5. Reusable Water Bottle – During the hot months wherever you are you will want to have a reusable water bottle. Why reusable? Well, for example, constantly purchasing water at the market will get expensive in some places, plus it’s good for the environment! With a reusable water bottle, you’ll never run out of water!

We hope we were able to at least help you guys a little bit, be safe and have the most fun studying abroad! We’ll see you guys in January! 

Tracey O'Donnell

Fairfield '19

Hi guys! I'm Tracey O'Donnell - a senior at Fairfield University and the creative director for our team! I love the sense of community Her Campus represents and strive to make it all the more welcoming for new members. Feel free to reach out to me at any time! 
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com