Why You Should Become a Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

We all know the incredible joy you feel when you get to sleep in until noon, especially after a week of 8am classes and getting up for meetings or work. But, though it’s great to sleep in, there’s a lot of reasons why you should train yourself to actually enjoy getting up early and taking your day by storm. Instead of spending the entire morning in bed, teach yourself to get up, make your bed, and splash some water on your face so you can face the day.

1. It’s healthier for you

I’m sure you’ve heard how it’s important for you to get at least seven or eight hours of sleep a night, so, like me, you probably figured, “Hey, why not crank that up to ten?” Unfortunately, recent studies have shown that excessive sleeping is just as bad as being constantly sleep deprived. The best way to overcome this is to set your alarm for a consistent time, or allow yourself an extra hour or two on the weekends. But, try to go to sleep at a decent time and get up at a consistent hour.

2. You’ll be more productive

If you’re like most people, after a certain time at night you just don’t produce your best work anymore. If you start training yourself to get up before you absolutely have to, you’ll have more time in the morning to accomplish different tasks and prepare yourself for the day. You won’t feel rushed getting ready for class and you’ll have time to catch up on readings or start a paper if you have an extra hour or two in the morning.

3. You’ll have more opportunities

We’ve all been there; decided to sleep in until noon, then woke up to a dozen texts in the group message to see that the girls decided to do brunch downtown or get together for coffee, while you’re still in bed. If you finally do get up and shower, you end up late to the party and they’ll likely be ready to leave soon anyway. By enjoying the morning, you’ll be available when your other morning friends decide to make plans.

4. You can enjoy the morning

I don’t know how many of you have ever sat outside in the morning, but it’s a beautiful time. My mum has this routine in the summer where she gets up early, makes coffee, and sits on our back deck, usually reading over the Bible or just enjoying the morning light. I’ve sometimes joined her and this time of day is the most beautiful and peaceful you could imagine.

5. You’ll have more time in the day

Finally, how many times have you wished there were more hours in the day? Now, you have them! Instead of wasting hours sleeping in, you’ll have more time to do things you actually need and want to do.

I attend Franklin & Marshall College and am the campus correspondent of the Her Campus chapter here. I also play flute with the Pep Band and Symphonic Wind Ensemble. I am an editor for the Patsy Post, am involved with F&M Unleashed, a member of Mu Upsilon Sigma, and a Brother of Phi Sigma Pi, a co-ed honors fraternity.