What’s All the Hype with Hamden?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Hamden Clothing, created by former Franklin and Marshall student Matthew Durlester with the help from current senior Brett Giacco, flew out to California to get things started for the launch of their line. Durlester grew up on the coast of Southern California as a surfer, and had a complete change of scenery while attending Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, PA, known for its Amish community. It was these two places that Durlester refers to as “polar opposites” that helped influence the line, as the culture and style he found in Lancaster, PA was different from the West Coast style he was so used to.

Attending college on the East Coast helped him become more open to a new style he otherwise would not have encountered by staying on the West Coast. They do say the further you get from home, the more knowledge you’ll gain. Well, maybe they don’t say that, but it’s supported here in Durlester’s experience traveling away from his surfer-esque home.

When envisioning Hamden, Durlester wanted to create a line that provided comfort, combined with a unique and outstanding look. He found that the more comfortable the clothing, the less it stood out aesthetically. Isn’t that an issue we all have when it comes to fashion for everyday wear? As the process began, his goal “in creating Hamden was to hand select fabrics that felt the best on the body and add appealing prints and cuts to the high quality fabrics.” It’s fascinating to know that these young men were a part of every process for this clothing line, from choosing fabrics to designing and marketing.

The attention to small detail is what sets this line apart from the rest. Their simple “H” logo is sewn into every piece. The small, classic looking logo allows others to ask, “Where’d you get that from,” which is something I find to be important for a new up-and-coming clothing line; it helps getting the name out by word of mouth. Another great yet eye catching detail is the top snap button on their buttoned shirts, like the Paxton Chambray and Sutton Plaid in Burgundy (both pictured). How genius is it to have the top button to be a snap button? It makes that obnoxious last button just a little bit easier.

It was such an incredible opportunity to have been able to shoot and model with Hamden Clothing. Their textures and materials were just fabulous. The male model on set, Angel Martinez, was initially shocked at the comfort of the clothing, as he was expecting a stiff and starchy feel. Although the fabrics are incredibly comfortable, that isn’t the best part. While the line is intended to be an all men’s line, anyone can decide to wear it. I consider clothing lines to be greatest when a petite-framed female, such as yours truly, can adjust the look to fit my own style and body.

With such a strong first line of clothing, I’m sure we can all look forward to seeing where Matthew Durlester and Brett Giacco take Hamden Clothing in the future.

To start shopping visit hamdenclothing.com

Until next time my beautiful estrellas

Along with being the Her Campus Franklin and Marshall Campus Correspondent, I am also the editor-in-chief of Epilogue, F&M's literary Magazine, Staff Writer for The College Reporter, F&M's student newspaper, and a very active member of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity. When not hard at work, you can find me writing, reading, geeking out over Disney movies with my friends, or doing art projects.