This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Before you go out next weekend or before a big exam listen to these kick-ass artist to feel empowered. Nothing can stop you when you just believe! 

BO$$ – Fifth Harmony

Fifth Harmony’s anthem reminds us of the importance in following in the footsteps of powerful women, demanding respect, and remaining confident. Also it’s five diverse women performing one song, it can’t get much better than that.

Best Line: “Working for my money, ‘cause that’s what my momma taught me, so you’re a** better show me some respect”

Flawless – Beyonce

This one doesn’t even need any explanation. Beyonce’s power anthem reminds us of the importance of feminism with basically every word.

Best Line: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s entire verse

Love Myself  – Hailee Steinfeld

Hailee Steinfeld’s single reminds us of the importance of loving ourselves in every way. Hailee’s no holds barred attitude is what really makes this song a feminist anthem.

Best line: “I know how to scream my own name”

Confident – Demi Lovato

With this song, Demi totally demands respect. She’s taking control and she doesn’t care what anyone thinks.

Best line: “It’s time for me to take it. I’m the boss right now”

Fight Song – Rachel Platten

This song was everyone’s summer jam. Rachel Platten talks about “[taking] back her life” and finding the strength to do so. With her empowering words, she reminds us all to keep fighting against whatever’s bringing us down.

Best line: “This is my fight song, take back my life song, prove I’m all right song”

Hard Out Here – Lily Allen

This song doesn’t hold back on anything. Lily points out typical gender stereotypes and is brutally honest about it.  She’s not going to take any crap from the patriarchy, and she has no qualms singing about it!

Best line: “You’ll find me in the studio and not in the kitchen”

Run the World (Girls) – Beyonce

Of course, more Beyonce because she does it best. Like Flawless, this one is kind of self-explanatory. Girls run the world, and there’s not really any other way to say it.

Best line: “Disrespect us, no they won’t”

Firework – Katy Perry

This might’ve been everyone’s anthem in middle/high school, but the message is actually very powerful. Katy reminds us not to give up no matter how down we’re feeling, and that everyone matters.

Best line: “You’re original, cannot be replaced”

Beautiful – Christina Aguilera

With this song, Christina Aguilera reminds all of us that we’re beautiful. This song has been boosting women’s confidence since 2002, and is guaranteed to always remain one of the most empowering songs out there.

Best line: “I am beautiful, no matter what they say”

Respect  – Aretha Franklin

Finally, a vintage empowering anthem to close off the list. Aretha Franklin reminds us with this power ballad to never stop demanding that R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

Best line: “R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me”

So don’t forget to be amazing and empower the women around you! 

Karolina Heleno is a student at Franklin and Marshall College majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Women and Gender Studies. She currently serves as the Communications Intern with the YWCA of Lancaster.