This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Smash Brothers Club

Image courtesy of Pure Nintendo

Did you know that there is a Smash Brothers Club at Franklin & Marshall College? Although it is not an official club on campus, Smash Brothers Club is a competitive gaming club where you can compete with other people and participate in tournaments around the area. Smash Brothers is very time friendly, which means that one fight could last 4-5 minutes. In fact, it doesn’t even require a large commitment. Because the Smash Brothers Club is not an officially recognized campus at F&M, this means that it is not funded. This is because it can be hard to fund some gaming club when we already have multiple gaming clubs on campus. Our club is very unstructured in that everyone contributes anyway that they can. For example, each member usually volunteers to supply the group with a TV while someone else may bring the controller. It’s very unstructured so most people invite friends to their lofts or suites to get together and play, for practice to learn more in preparation for the weekly tournament.

Smash Brothers has a high learning curve because it is a competitive game, meaning that people play this professionally. You could spend years playing smash brothers and not master it because it takes a lot of time to become a master. As a result, people play against each other whenever they can. We used to host weekly tournaments over the weekends. There would be a bracket using a website and it would be fun. F&M is a small liberal arts college so there’s currently not a lot of people in our club. Therefore, we have been going to Millersville. There, they have a prominent Smash Brothers Club where they host weekly tournaments.

The Smash Brothers Club focus on two games. It is a franchise with 4 games. The two that are internationally popular and the ones that we focus more on is smash bros melee (2nd game in the series) and smash 4.

Vivian is the current Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director of the Her Campus chapter at F&M, where she has been a member for 3 years. She is a senior at Franklin & Marshall College, studying business and sociology. In her free time, she can be found catching up on TV shows, reading novels, or spending time with her sorority sisters. Her interests include branding, public relations, and marketing.