Review of Amazon Original Series “Good Girls Revolt”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

(Photo Courtesy of http://www.mysanantonio.com)

The Amazon original series, “Good Girls Revolt,” highlights the daily lives of female workers at a news magazine called News of the Week in the late 1960s. The first season of the show focuses on how the workers organized and participated in creating a formal complaint about the magazine’s reluctance to allow their female workers to be reporters. Specifically, the series focuses on the lives of aspiring writer Patti Robinson and her two colleagues, Cindy Reston and Jane Hollander. Among the casts are Genevieve Angelson, Anna Camp, Erin Darke, Hunter Parrish, and Chris Diamantopoulos. Centered around the late 1960s and early 1970s, the story covers the intensity of social justice movements in American history such as the Civil Rights Movement, the Black Panthers, the U.S.’s participation in the Vietnam War, and the emerging feminist movement. The series depicts both the personal and professional lives of these three characters as they embark on a journey of changing cultural values and social norms. “Good Girls Revolt” provides viewers with a glimpse of women’s lives and what it was like as they struggled for freedom and opportunities for independence. This show provides viewers with a plot that captivates them as they get to experience what life was like in the era of the Civil Rights Movements. As the characters investigate and write about the social issues that arose during the time period, viewers are able to see how society has progressed. Although the series was canceled after 1 season, “Good Girls Revolt” is a great show to inspire everyone about the feminist movement in addition to fighting for a cause and seeking justice.

Vivian is the current Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director of the Her Campus chapter at F&M, where she has been a member for 3 years. She is a senior at Franklin & Marshall College, studying business and sociology. In her free time, she can be found catching up on TV shows, reading novels, or spending time with her sorority sisters. Her interests include branding, public relations, and marketing.
I attend Franklin & Marshall College and am the campus correspondent of the Her Campus chapter here. I also play flute with the Pep Band and Symphonic Wind Ensemble. I am an editor for the Patsy Post, am involved with F&M Unleashed, a member of Mu Upsilon Sigma, and a Brother of Phi Sigma Pi, a co-ed honors fraternity.