Poems and Proses Entertain at the First Meeting of the Writers House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Claps, laughs, and yes, snaps.

F&M’s Philadelphia Alumni Writers House’s welcome-back party started off with a full house.

Last Wednesday faculty and students kicked off the new academic year at the Philadelphia Alumni Writers House with a welcome back party at 6 p.m and an open mic followed at 7 p.m. There were a lot of familiar faces of professors and students who have been affiliated with the house for years, but also newcomers who just wanted to check out the cozy cottage on College Ave and the close-knit community of writers and readers.

With a packed room and more people outside, the event’s attendees had come from all over Lancaster and beyond. The Writers House attracted many students, faculty, and staff to come together as a community. The students’ majors ranged from English and Creative Writing to other disciplines, such as Chemistry, Mathematics, Economics, Philosophy, as well as pre-professional programs, like Medicine and Law. The House has been not only a hub of writing at F&M but also the Lancaster community as a whole. United under the same roof by the passion for literature, the desire to reveal the products of fervid artistic sensibility, the heady aroma of Vietnamese food served at the event and the yellow glow of lighting, Writers House’s diverse cross-section of guests have together found an inspiring haven for artistic expressions. 

Photo (Han Le): Students enjoyed the delicious food at the event

The first meeting of the year allowed everyone to introduce themselves, followed by getting to know different projects, clubs and organizations associated with the House, such as the College Dispatch, the Patsy Post, LIFT, No Filter Coffee House… Prof. Wright, the director of the Writers House, also took the opportunity to introduce other writing-related programs and services, such as the Emerging Writers Festival, the Alumni Arts Review, the Writing Center… She also shared her plan of bringing to the house standout writers who have recently been recognized in the world of literary craft and encouraged all students to get more involved and take full advantage of all the opportunities offered. 

Photo (Han Le): Prof. Wright, the director of the Writers House, introduced herself and all the different opportunities available at the House.

The Writers House will continue to organize more literary projects and events as the year goes by, and they will all be open to the public, so please bring writers, readers, friends, and family, or just anyone who is curious and wants to find out more about the House. However, for now, if you want to get involved, there are opportunities to sign up for different publications across campus, such as the College Dispatch, the College Reporter, Epilogue, Plume…You can also always contact the Writers House at whcommune@fandm.edu to be added to the mailing list and receive more information. Finally, an event that is coming up at the House is a reading with Jena Osman, the author of Corporate Relations (Burning Deck, 2014), Public Figures (Wesleyan University Press, 2012), and An Essay in Asterisks (Roof Books, 2004), on October 6, from 7 pm to 9 pm. Again, everyone in the community is welcome, so feel free to join in and bring other people as well. 

Han Le is a first-year student at Franklin and Marshall College. She plans to get a double major in Biochemistry and Computer Science, but she also likes words and never intends to stop writing.