I Am Second—So Who Is First?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

If you ever find yourself admiring someone’s jewelry while standing in line at Zime, I can promise you that you’re not alone. For the past few months, my bored stares have even helped me find out about a new phenomenon that’s started not only on campus but across the nation as well.

Similar to the LiveStrong bracelet fad that began when we were back in middle school, the silicone bracelets are making a comeback. Instead of yellow, this new trend sports a black band with white writing stating “I Am Second.” Thanks to a generous friend working at the College Center who wasn’t entirely sure what the movement was, I am now wearing my own I Am Second bracelet.

After some research, I discovered what it means. With a foundation in a religious belief, the I Am Second movement is a reminder to the wearer that God is first, and you are second. However, as religion has been a controversial topic and individual opinion, the movement also reflects those who have no religious beliefs and instead allows the wearer to remember that other people, such as family and friends, are first, and you are second. Regardless of any personal religious beliefs, I find this movement inspiring.

In a world where notifications about death are unfortunately unsurprising and a political world that is certainly unstable, a reminder to be kind, compassionate, and caring is always a good thing to remember. The website iamsecond.com provides more information about the goals of the movement, though much more in a religious context.

To me, wearing the bracelet is a reminder that I am not alone in this world and there are other people who might need help or comfort before me. It is a reminder to put God and/or other people before myself and to find a sense of selflessness in a world that is constantly selfie-ing. 

Just a girl who likes too much hockey, too much Netflix, and too many books.
Karolina Heleno is a student at Franklin and Marshall College majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Women and Gender Studies. She currently serves as the Communications Intern with the YWCA of Lancaster.