sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Halloween Freshmen vs. Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Freshmen year of college, Halloween is essentially a reenactment of that scene from Mean Girls. You know the one: they all dress up in the sexiest costumes they can find, but no one tells Cady Heron, so she dresses up in a genuinely scary costume. Well, your freshmen year of college will be like that – everyone going to extremes for their costumes, either the “sexy” version of some profession or traditional costume (nurse, vampire, witch, cop, you name it) or people dressing in impressive costumes that likely took hours to put together (too bad your makeup will just be sweated off at the party you head to). People put time and effort into their costumes and care about them. You’ll see lots of group costumes, puns, traditional costumes, and couples’ costumes, but this mindset quickly changes.

For most people, by the time senior year rolls around, you won’t be nearly as concerned about finding the perfect costume. Why should you be, when you’ve spent the last three years putting effort into Halloween and now have three (likely more, because you’d swap costumes every night of Halloweekend) perfectly good costumes you can just recycle. Or, why bother dressing up at all when you can go to a bar and put on a hat or headband with ears and you’re good to go!

When you remember Halloween is coming:

Freshmen year:

Senior year:

Getting your costume ready:

Freshmen year:

Senior year:

When you see you friend with a truly terrifying costume:

Freshmen year:

Senior year:

Once you finally go out for the night:

Freshmen year:

Senior year:

I attend Franklin & Marshall College and am the campus correspondent of the Her Campus chapter here. I also play flute with the Pep Band and Symphonic Wind Ensemble. I am an editor for the Patsy Post, am involved with F&M Unleashed, a member of Mu Upsilon Sigma, and a Brother of Phi Sigma Pi, a co-ed honors fraternity.