Founders Face-Off: Midterm Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Everyone now is under midterm pressure: studying all hours of the night and weekends with the hope that they will not miserably fail. So, what if Ben Franklin and John Marshall were under midterm pressure? Who would take home the “A?” While both very intelligent men, they each could pass with an “A.”

Let’s look at Ben Franklin:

1. Ben is your typical go-getter. He literally is involved in everything possible including science, politics, music, and writing (just to name a few).
  2. Ben was always inventing and seeking new knowledge as well. He invented such things as the lightening rod and bifocal glasses.
  3. Not only was Ben a go-getter here in America, he also was an ambassador to France and spent time in Europe.
  4. I’m not even going to mention the women and flirting.

Now let’s look at John Marshall:

1. John, a dedicated man, spent over three decades in the judicial system.
  2. He was a humbled man and appreciated the simplicity of life. He built and lived in his own log cabin, which he used as a retreat until he died.
  3. John also knew how to handle stress. He boarded at Valley Forge during the winter of the Revolutionary War and also grew up with eight sisters and six brothers.
  4. As head of the Supreme Court, John had to be objective in each decision as a whole.

In reality, Ben, though he cared for education, would probably not study for the midterm. He’d be off exploring and inventing. In some case, he’d probably be out to prove the professor wrong and find his own way of solving the problem. John, on the other hand, would be the student in the library studying to the last minute. With his dedicated personality and his ability to be objective, this midterm would be no stress to him. John would clearly get the “A.” Sorry Ben; this one goes to John, but good luck on whatever mischievous thing you are up to now.

I am currently a senior at Franklin and Marshall College in the picturesque city of Lancaster, PA. I am a Spanish and History major and I'm excited to be a writer for HerCampus F&M. I love finding new and interesting ways to design nails and always share it with others. I also love all things of adventurous and exotic natures, stories, art, and cute boys (let's not forget what we really are checking on HerCampus).
Molly is a junior at Franklin and Marshall College majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. Molly is a member of the Zeta Beta chapter of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, a former field hockey player, and Relationships & College Life writer at ChickSpeak.com. This native Jersey girl can be found hitting the pavement on daily runs, watching Sex and The City, or shopping for the best sales. A self-proclaimed foodie, Molly can out-eat any guy she has dated. Molly is an aspiring writer and is looking to take the publishing world by storm post-graduation.