5 Things to Learn from a Heartbreak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Originally, this post was going to be about how to be in a long-distance relationship, especially around Valentine’s Day. I was in a long-distance relationship with my boyfriend of almost 3.5 years before he broke up with me a few days ago. Via Skype. But, this post is not for me to talk about my relationship or mope or talk about love or be bitter. Rather, this post is here to tell all you girls that even if your heart gets broken, there are some things you can learn (or at least that I’ve learned) that show that a break-up isn’t all that bad. There’s a lot that can be learned.

1. Take Time for Yourself. Often times, girls get so wrapped up in pleasing someone else that they forget how to just take care of themselves and do things that make them happy. Your world should be for you. You don’t have to do everything for everyone. Your life shouldn’t revolve around anyone else’s, especially at this age.

2. You Realize Who Your True Friends Are. I’ve had such an outpouring of friends and family who care so much for me and want to make it all better and support me just do little things for me. Take me out to dinner as a group of friends, buy me some new things to replace all the things from my ex, call me, offer to come visit, watch stupid and nerdy TV with me, make me laugh, they’ve done it all. It’s all helped make me feel so much better.

3. You Will Move On. Your heart doesn’t hurt forever. Sometimes breaking up is for the best and makes your life healthier and richer. You will stop crying, you will want to eat again, you won’t be miserable forever.

4. It Helps to Go Out. You may have been tempted, when in a relationship, to always stay in and make time for the other person. Sometimes, it’s just good to have a little fun, have a girls’ night, and just have a change of pace.

5. You’re Not Alone. My lovely sister-in-law said to my mom and to me upon hearing of my break-up, “every girl gets her heart broken at least once.” You may thought he was the one and maybe he will be again one day. But you’re not alone in feeling this pain. Every girl has gone through or will go through some boy breaking her heart at some point in her life. It sucks now, but you’ll be stronger for it one day. How many people end up marrying the person in their first serious relationship? Not all that many. Some do, some don’t. I remember once hearing someone giving someone else a piece of advice (maybe it was on TV) that made me stop and think. (Forgive me if I misquote) “You’ll have your heart broken but you’ll break some hearts too.” And that my friends, is exactly the game of love.

And just remember, Valentine’s Day can also be Singles’ Awareness Day. :)

Along with being the Her Campus Franklin and Marshall Campus Correspondent, I am also the editor-in-chief of Epilogue, F&M's literary Magazine, Staff Writer for The College Reporter, F&M's student newspaper, and a very active member of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity. When not hard at work, you can find me writing, reading, geeking out over Disney movies with my friends, or doing art projects.