This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week’s chosen woman is the first female Chancellor of Germany and political heavyweight, Angela Merkel. Merkel is an inspiration to women across the globe and has twice been named by Forbes as the world’s second most powerful person, the highest rank ever achieved by a woman.

Having overseen Europe’s largest economy since 2005 and widely being described as the de facto leader of the EU, Angela Merkel is a force to be reckoned with. Coming from a background not typical of traditional politicians – a woman, growing up in East Germany, with a degree in Physics – the odds of political success were stacked against her. However, Merkel has effortlessly risen through the ranks of German politics, leaving many men in her wake and often making them pay a high price for underestimating her. As Chancellor, she is still going strong after 10 years in office, and it looks as though she is here to stay.

Living in such an image-obsessed society, it’s refreshing to find a woman who has achieved so much relying solely on her own intelligence and political skill. This is aptly summarised by The Times who describe her political style as

‘no flair, no flourishes, no charisma, just a survivor’s sharp sense of power and a scientist’s devotion to data.’

Like any politician, Merkel has her critics, but they are often over-shadowed by international recognition of her achievements and astounding successes. To name but a few, Merkel has been awarded:

Angela Merkel: The Decider

During her chancellorship Merkel has tackled major issues such as health care reform, future energy development and immigration. Her quick thinking and hard line on such contentious issues has led many to refer to her as ‘the decider’.

A particularly relevant issue is policies of immigration across the globe. The recent Executive Order on immigration signed by President Trump in the White House last week (because, after all, what is a current affairs article these days without a reference to Trump?) has only garnered more respect for Merkel, whose more relaxed and welcoming immigration policies have provided a safe haven for more than 1,000,000 refugees. The Chancellor ‘explained’ her point of view in a phone call with Trump on Saturday where she stated that even the necessary, resolute fight against terrorism doesn’t justify putting people of a particular origin or particular faith under general suspicion.’ Maintaining compassion and humanity in these challenging times is a big part of what makes Angela Merkel such an impressive leader.

On the subject of notoriously troublesome political leaders, Merkel is also able to speak fluent Russian, which may come in handy with the rise of an increasingly resistant and prominent Russia. Vladimir Putin and Angela Merkel have a rocky relationship to say the least, with Putin apparently letting his dogs lose around Merkel despite being fully aware of her phobia (although this is something he fervently denies). If Merkel can face being set upon by Putin’s hounds, she can face whatever crises comes her way in the next few years. This woman knows no fear.

What’s more, she even has her own official Mattel-designed, trouser-suited Barbie doll which was unveiled in 2009 at the 60th annual international toy fair in Nuremburg. Looking ahead to the future of British politics, Merkel’s strong headed willingness to stand alone on controversial issues such as immigration is something to aspire to. Theresa May – take note.

Second year History and International Relations student.