Valentine’s Date Night Dilemma: What Should You Wear?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

January has been a long, cold month. You’re just getting over the post-Christmas blues. You may or may not have stuck with your New Year’s resolution. But finally Valentine’s Day is right around the corner providing you with something to look forward to. Exeter has many things to offer everyone from the soppy romantics to the single ladies. Exeter puts on some great Valentine’s day events. You and a friend could enjoy a wine filled night with WineSoc’s Speed Dating evening or try your chances with RaG’s first dates. So whether you are having a cute dinner date with your significant other or a night out with the girls here are some outfit ideas for the big day.

Lunch Date

You and your other half have been going out for a while and don’t want to make Valentine’s day a big deal but don’t want to ignore it all together. Going out for lunch is a really nice way to show them you care so you want to make some effort when it comes to what you wear. Going for lunch means you should keep it casual. Jeans or a skirt with a comfortable jumper and boots will look cute and appropriate for the chilly weather.

Dinner Date

Something for the couples who like to go all out. You are not afraid to be seen in restaurants getting all soppy across the table from one another. If you are making the effort to go out to a  restaurant you want to make sure that your outfit matches the commitment you are making to the evening. Heeled boots would be perfect for this as they are casual but show that you’ve made an effort. A skirt or dress would be ideal here or you could jump in on the statement trouser trend. Flares and a bell sleeved top will keep your outfit fun and interesting. Just stay away from ripped jeans, they’re great but not really dinner attire.

Night Out With The Gals

You’re single, you’re fun, you’re a strong independent woman who don’t need no man! Valentine’s day is the best excuse for a GNO (not that we ever really need one!) This year Valentine’s day is on a Tuesday and there are many great options for you and the gals to get out and have a great night out. Cheesy Tuesdays anyone? Keep up your classic Exeter night out garms, jeans and a crop top? Yep! However, Valentine’s day is also the excuse to maybe get a little more dressed up – try a sparkly or velvet top to keep your outfit a little bit more sassy.

Night In With The Gals

Single? No problem! Whether you just don’t feel like going out or you’ve had a hard night at Moz the night before there’s no shame in staying in with your best gals, ordering a pizza and going all out Bridget Jones. We’ve all done it, and it can often be better than a sweaty night in a club with guys assuming because you are single you are desperate. The best thing about a night in is that it doesn’t matter what you wear. However, I would suggest something with an elastic waistband so that you can eat all of the Domino’s and chocolates that your heart desires.