This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Whether you are into your designer brands or into the staple high street classics, if you are a self-confessed shopaholic, this is the travel list for you! So grab your Birkin bag and your suitably stylish Chanel jacket – here is the Her Campus top five for the perfect round the world shopping venture (but be mindful that you don’t spend your entire student loan all in one place!!)

1.    Monaco and Monte Carlo

Monaco – the central turning point for the A-list and shopaholic alike, enjoying this tax-free haven. Whilst you stay at the Hotel Hermitage, you can patter along a few steps in your Jimmy Choo’s to the Le Metropole Shopping Center. With its eighty high-end boutique shops, the 10am to 7.30pm opening times are certainly not enough for all that fashion! A girl can dream that just like Grace Kelly, they can meet a member of the Monaco royal family as well …*sighs*

2.    Paris

Paris is known for its epic fashion week – and its shopping really lives up to that. You can’t go to Paris without experiencing the delight of the shops on Rue Faubourg Saint-Honoré, or even Avenue Montaigne and  of course Avenue des Champs-Elysées – the epitome of Parisian design, and with design houses such as Versace, Dior and Hermès in the Saint-Honoré, you cannot go wrong! If you are looking for department stores, it is so easy to get lost in the designer labyrinth of Galeries Lafayette on Boulevard Haussmann, with the gourmet food shopping, home design, jewellery, and even hardware into a labyrinth of consumer delights. For more avant-garde looks, The Marais and Paris Flea Markets are both known for their vintage wardrobes and eclectic styles.

[pagebreak]

3.    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur is the extreme shopper’s paradise – the self-titled ‘mega’ sales that leave the madness of the Next Sale in the dust. The mega sale carnival period (unfortunately we have just missed it – 29th June to 1st September) is the sale we shoppers dream of, with  a rumoured 70% off designer brands!! There are so many places within Kuala Lumpur where we can spend our entire overdraft, such as the Central Market, an art deco market with a mishmash of traders, fortune tellers and painters combined, selling a huge range of items from antique clocks to hand woven silks. Hidden upstairs on 145 Jalan Tun HS Lee is the elusive Peter Hoe.  The store (which has been rumoured to be the headquarters of the Japanese secret police) is over 8,000 square feet of shopping heaven, with linen outfits, silver jewellery, lampshades, silk cushions, pillows and a café.  For more bargains, it is worth heading to Bangsar – not only does it have a thriving club scene but also an intimidating number of shopping areas, especially the Bangsar Village II with brands such as Ted Baker having outlets here!!

Next on your shopping adventure, we have the ‘monster malls’. (A warning for the novice shoppers perhaps?) Kuala Lumpur’s Suria KLCC Shopping Complex is one such monster mall. It is stuffed with designer brands galore like Miu Miu, Cartier, Michael Kors, Gucci, Prada, Louis Vuitton and Christian Dior, as well as having the region’s first Armani Café just to name a ‘few’. If that is not to your taste, head to Melium Outlet, the discount outlet where there is no rummaging through boxes for a bargain. Expect luxurious surroundings minus the horrifying price tags.

If after all that (if you still have money to burn), there is oh so much more, such as Bintang Walk. The Walk could rival the monster malls for the sheer volume of shops. Sungei Wang Plaza is known for its local designers shops such as Key Ng, Carven Ong, Michael Ong and William Liew. For more affordable shops such as H&M, Zara, Braun Buffel, Timberland, and the National Geographic store, you should check out Lot 10, another shopping complex nearby which prides itself on its manicured lawns.

However, Her Campus has saved the best for last. The couture central – Pavilion Kuala Lumpur. Brands such as Gucci, COACH, Canali, Giuseppe Zanotti, TOD’S, Chloe, Versace, Shanghai Tang, Jean-Paul Gaultier and Prada have flagship stores here. Add the amazing shops with floor length mirrors and sophistcated interiors is enough to make a shopaholic pass out from excitement!

4.    Tokyo

You can be forgiven for thinking Tokyo fashion could be a little too ‘wacky’ for your tastebuds (it has shops called Candy and Spank!) – but bear with us! While Candy acts as “the forefront of Japanese street style” with its mixture of used clothes and Japanese design staples, Candy has become legend within the Tokyo shopping scene with the edgiest locals congregating here. If you fall in a hazy, graphic sweater fuelled love with the street style, head on over to Faline. With staff that epitomise the word hipster and the neon glare from the many clothes, this micro shop is always at the pulse of Tokyo youth culture.

If that is not to your taste, Her Campus suggests you check out Aquvii for tiny trinkets that would make a cute kitten blush with delight, not to mention the affordable prices: a must for soverine shopping.  For more chic and minimalist fashions, Xanadu is the place to go – with some of the coolest uses of leather and Vinyl that we have ever seen! Also check out Kitakore – filled with designers who make one-off pieces which have lured visitors such as Lady Gaga as well as having art exhibitions.

If you only have time for one shop (which in itself is utterly shocking), then it must be The Contemporary Fix. The Fix often invites the designers of the brands they carry to do unique events in the store – a feature Her Campus wants to see more of in Exeter. However, the unique events bring prices that may make you scream from fear …

[pagebreak]

5.    New York

New York. Oh New York – How you have Her Campus’ heart! Once described as “the only real city-city” by Truman Capote, this so called city-city is one of the best places to shop on earth. Bloomingdales is where you’ll find all the big brands and has in itself become a New York go-to for tourists and locals alike, with it being featured on show such as Gossip Girl (Her Campus misses Chuck) and Sex and the City. Another Gossip Girl staple is Henri Bendel. Bendel was the epicentre of chic within the disco era, but now it has a number of designer items such as the famous Blair Waldof style headband. As well as that you have Barney’s with brands such as Alexander Wang and Prada making any Upper East Side girl extremely happy.

New York also has Madison Avenue with fifteen blocks of designer shops such as Calvin Klein, Giorgio Armani, Kate Spade and fashion-house boutiques such as Prada, Hermès and Chanel. Note: make sure to leave some time for the grand finale at Ralph Lauren on 72nd Street. But if designer brands are not your thing, there is always Soho – the epicentre for artists and hipsters alike.

If you are feeling more in the mood for jewellery shopping (as every girl does from time to time) you could always head down to Tiffany and Co. to stare longingly at the little blue boxes imagining you were Audrey Hepburn. If that is not enough, you could always go to the American jeweller Harry Winston. Her Campus will always have time for a bit of Harry …

The United Kingdom Shopping Travel Bucket list:

If you are in desperate need for some retail therapy, you are lucky in the fact that the UK has its share of shopping paradises. Of course London would be on this list, with staple favourites like Oxford Street, Harrods, Hamleys and Westfield London Shopping Centre.  For vintage fans there’s Camden Market, Lucy in Disguise, and One of a Kind. Outside of London, you have The Bull Ring in Birmingham, Manchester’s Trafford Centre, as well as Liverpool’s The ONE shopping centre. If you are looking for some bargains, Bicester Village in Oxfordshire is the place to go!

Picture credits: www.panoramio.com, www.wikipedia.com, www.tokyofashion.com, www.cindystephenson.files.word…, www.jensenbeds.co.uk, www.hoteltourmaubourgparis.com

Shannon is a first year law LLB student. When she is not buried in a mountain of law books, she spends her time indulging her keen passions for travel, films and blogging.