Top Romantic Getaways in Italy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Extraordinary landscapes, world-famous food and ancient architecture: it’s hard not to fall in love with Italy. So why not fall in love in Italy, with a romantic Valentine’s Day break?

Whether it’s stepping back in time with Romeo and Juliet in Verona, taking in the sunset over Lake Garda or admiring the heart-racing sights of Florence, this country is as diverse as it is seductive.

Here are some of the most romantic spots Italy has to offer.

Florence

Home of the Renaissance, world-renowned artwork and heaps of architecture, Florence is oozing with romance. And in February, during a well-earned break from its summer tourist madness, this city’s beauty can really be appreciated.

Just drifting through the cobbled streets is enough to fall in love, but make your way to the Ponte Vecchio for a glimpse of Florence’s true charm. This unusual bridge has twinkled with the oldest Florentine jewellers since the 14th Century, and has the best views over the River Arno. It also paves the way to the next romantic stop: Giardino di Boboli. These extensive gardens, tucked away behind the Pitti Palace, are the perfect Valentine’s hideaway. Stroll hand in hand among the roses or enjoy a picnic in a secluded shady spot. For an unforgettable view, take the back exit out to Forte di Belvedere, a fortress looking out over the entire city. As the venue for Kim and Kanye’s wedding, it must be romantic.

If views are what you and your Valentine are after, Florence isn’t short of romantic rooftop venues. Head to the lounge bar at the top of Hotel Continentale or La Terrazza on the roof of the Rinascente shopping centre for an unmissable view of the Duomo.

The view of Florence’s Duomo from La Terrazza café

Another must-see viewpoint is from the Duomo itself. If you can brave the 463 steps to the top of this iconic landmark, the view over the city is enough to get anyone’s heart thumping. Alternatively, walk up to Piazzale Michelangelo or catch a bus to the hilltop town of Fiesole, where Blu Bar offers an ideal spot for a cocktail-with-a-view.

Florence, the city of art and museums, offers no shortage in the way of food for the soul. But if the way to your Valentine’s heart is through their stomach, the Tuscan capital certainly won’t disappoint. Follow the young crowd to Piazza Santo Spirito, a trendy square lined with bars and restaurants like local favourite Volume. For a special Valentine’s treat, ask for a heart-shaped pizza at Gusta Pizza. Elsewhere, La Ménagère combines an upmarket restaurant, tapas bar and a homeware shop for a truly romantic evening in a unique setting: think colourful flowers and quirky decor. Its stacks of maple syrup drenched pancakes also make it a must for couple’s brunch.

While on the gastronomic tour, why not pay a visit to Mercato Centrale, Florence’s historic food market? Downstairs boasts bustling stalls of typical Tuscan treats, while the newly-renovated upstairs is now a stylish food court. To really up the romance, enjoy a glass of Tuscan red wine or prosecco at a quiet bar along the river like Spumantino. And for the chocolate-lovers, Florence’s annual Chocolate Fair arrives just in time for Valentine’s, running from February 10th-19th.

Verona

Verona has to be one of Italy’s most romantic destinations, given that it was the setting for Shakespeare’s star-crossed lovers, Romeo and Juliet. And it’s not surprising, given the sheer beauty of this place. Now a UNESCO world heritage site, Verona never fails to charm with its quaint cobbled streets, colourful medieval buildings and of course, its Roman arena, where Adele performed last year. If the queen of love songs can’t stay away, you know it must be deserving of its place on the list.

The first, though clichéd, stop on Verona’s Valentine’s tour has to be Juliet’s balcony. Romantics flock to this fictional home of Shakespeare’s heroine to add their declarations of love to the hundreds already covering the walls. A bit of a tourist trap though, it’s best to escape quickly, after rubbing the statue of Juliet for good luck of course.

To avoid the crowds, take a romantic stroll along the river and make your way to a secluded beach just past the castle. For a panoramic view of the city to share with your loved one, head up the hill to the north of the historic centre. You’ll even be able to spot a Roman theatre nestled into the hillside.

View of the River Adige, Verona

Head to restaurant-lined Piazza delle Erbe for the daily market, and enjoy some window-shopping along the main shopping streets, Corso Porta Bonsari and Via Mazzini. End the day at Piazza Bra to see the Roman arena lit up at night.

Lake Garda

Not far from Verona is Italy’s largest lake. Lake Garda is unrivalled in gorgeous views, picturesque fishing villages and romantic beach walks, ideal for a lovers’ getaway. And 158km in perimeter, there’s a lot of Lake Garda to go around.

A postcard-worthy view of Lake Garda 

The town named after the lake, Garda, is an idyllic setting for a Valentine’s break, with colourful villas dotted along the water’s edge, lakeside cocktail venues and stretches of secluded beach. Take a couple’s walk up into the hills for beautiful views over the clear waters, and for a truly secluded spot, Punta San Vigilio is a must.

Further south, Sirmione is a quirky lakeside town with bags of character. This tiny peninsula, jutting out into the lake, is famous for its castle, impressive Roman ruins and unrivalled sunset viewing spots. For an extra-special romantic retreat, check into one of the areas many spa resorts.

Finally, Peschiera del Garda is a postcard-worthy fishing village that makes for the perfect romantic day trip. Admire multi-coloured houses, delve into vintage shops or enjoy a boat outing. Before leaving, make sure to share some traditional seafood dishes and a bottle of local wine, Lugana.

I'm a final year languages student with a passion for art and travel. My favourite place to go? Everywhere and anywhere in Italy, which is probably where you'll find me, cappuccino and sketchbook in hand.