Top 5 Stress-Busting Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Here at HCX we know that uni can get pretty stressful – How are we supposed to balance our never-ending pile of reading, essay deadlines (that we leave to the last minute and instantly regret) and manage to have a social life? It can feel pretty impossible at times – like Bridget Jones says: “the minute one section of your life seems to be going well, another turns to crap”

That’s why we have decided to compile a list of 5 songs to listen to when you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed. Give them a listen, take a deep breath and remember that you can’t do everything at once!

1. Don’t Worry, Be Happy – Bobby McFerrin

This song makes you feel like you’re on a beach drinking a cocktail. Its message is so positive, and we particularly love the line “cause when you worry, your face will frown – and that will bring everybody down”. It’s true – happiness is infectious, so try to chill out and stay upbeat!

2. One Love (People Get Ready) – Bob Marley

Not only is this song an amazing song to let wash over you whilst you’re lying in bed in a paralysed state of stress, but it also reminds you how great humanity is. It’s all about sticking together in times of hardship, and that’s comforting when you’re in a terrible mood.

3. Breakaway – Kelly Clarkson 

Kelly just gets it (yes, we are on first-name terms with Kelly Clarkson) Sometimes you want to fly away from your terrible sh-essay on the American Revolution and remember that things will get better in the future. We love the line “Take a chance, make a change and breakaway”. If you want to get out of your stressed mindset, then you do have to make a change to your attitude! Only then can you break away from the feeling of overwhelming panic.

4. Big Girls Don’t Cry – Fergie

Fergie’s voice is like velvet dipped in hot chocolate – it’s so smooth and just a pleasure to listen to. The song is all about leaving a guy behind because you need to sort out your own head, which isn’t really fitting to our uni stress-busting needs (I mean, as if we have time to have tortured love affairs!?) But it’s such a tune and its title says it all – us big girls don’t need to cry, we are pretty strong

5. Pillow Talk – Zayn

Some of us found it hard to get on board with this song, especially since the music video is essentially Zayn showing us how hot his new girlfriend is (and we’re not completely over his and Perrie’s split yet so how is he?!) But you cannot deny that his voice is orgasmic. It’s definitely great for fighting stress.

We hope this helps – and remember to keep calm and carry on, collegiettes! 

I am the new President of Her Campus Exeter. Last year I was a very enthusiastic Sex & Relationships editor, and I hope to be a magazine journalist. I'm slightly addicted to Diet Coke, and running to the fridge is my idea of exercise.