Top 5 News Stories Of The Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Her Campus Exeter saves you trawling through the broadsheets or BBC news… Read on to be the current affairs savvy student!

Egypt Anti-Government Protesters Killed.

As Anti-Government marches occurred throughout Egypt, seven people have been killed, four of these in the capital city Cairo. Security officers threw teargas in an attempt to stop the protesters reaching Tahrir Square, that holds important meaning since the 2011 uprising.  However, many people joined the security forces in order to stop the march, showing just how politically divided this country has become. These deaths do not bode well for the imminent peace and change that Egypt has been trying to achieve, and suggests that there will only be more trouble in the future.

Australian Open 2014.

This year has seen an incredible performance from all those playing in the Australian Open. Despite early complaints from the heat, (as high as 41C on one day), organisers changed match times to evenings, when the heat was much more bearable. In terms of matches, one of the final matches between Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer saw a nail-biting game resulting in a victory for Nadal. He goes on to face Stanislas Wawrinka in the final on Sunday.

Old Cancer Patients Left to Die.

Leading charity, Macmillan Cancer Support has reported that multiple older cancer patients are being left on their own as they are seen as weaker and more of an investment. Due to their weakness in old age and vulnerability, millions of pensioners are not being treated properly. However, in a recent survey, it was found that thousands of older people lived as long as ten years after being diagnosed with cancer. However, doctors have responded with outrage, stating that it is vital that all sufferers are equally supported and treated well.

O2 Tricks Customers into Higher Tariffs.

As of Thursday this week, new rules stated that customers were free to leave their current phone tariffs if the price was increased after agreeing a stable price. However, O2 have trapped many of their customers due to a new clause in their contract that means they forfeit the right to leave their contracts.  O2 have also just announced a 2.7% increase in their price, rendering Ofcom’s new reformation almost useless.

Bieber Arrested.

The 19 year old, worldwide famous singer Justin Bieber was arrested early on the morning of Thursday 23rd January. The ‘star’ was stopped by the police for driving under the influence of alcohol, and later for resisting arrest and driving without a valid licence. The singer’s beloved ‘beliebers’ have been furiously posting their opinions on Twitter and have been trending various things relating to arrest. Bieber posted bail of $2,500 (£1,500) one hour after a brief court appearance via a video link on Thursday afternoon.

Photo Credits: www.staruptree.net, www.telegraph.co.uk, www.dailymail.co.uk, www.post-gazette.com