This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Nothing sounds more Christmassy to me than the scent of cinnamon mulled wine, the sound of carolling, bright fairy lights and maybe the odd spot of snow. Where better to find all of this (and more!) at a Christmas market? Whether you visit markets to sample the best mince pies, buy cheeky gifts for yourself instead of your family or as an excuse to wear your cute new bobble hat, these European destinations are a must…

1. Strasbourg, France

Strasbourg has held a classic Christmas market since 1570 – that is a lot of time to perfect a mulled cider recipe! It is famous for its 300 adorable wooden chalets hosting spiced breads, candle-makers and Christmas tree sellers. The market has earned the city the nickname ‘Capital of Christmas’! It runs from the 25th November to 31st December this year, leaving you plenty of time to plan a spontaneous Christmas weekend away!

2. Zagreb, Croatia

The ‘Christmas Fair’ in Zagreb takes place during Advent, from 2nd December 2017 to 7th January 2018. It was voted ‘European Best Christmas Market’ two years in a row which proves that it really is one of the best. It is notable for its gingerbread which can be bought in many different shapes. It is usually a suitably chilly 6°C throughout December, giving you plenty of excuses to wrap your hands around a hot chocolate!

3. Vienna, Austria

Vienna boasts one of the oldest markets, dating back to 1298 when it was known as a ‘December Market’. Today, it fits perfectly with the city’s beauty, especially the market in front of the City Hall which is strung with fairy lights at this time of year. Inside City Hall, you can make your own cookies and listen to international choirs singing carols. What’s not to like?! This year the market runs from the 17th November to 26th December.

4. Dresden, Germany

Germany is probably what you think of first when you think Christmas Markets (besides our own amazing one in Exeter of course!). Running from 29th November to 24th December, the city has no less than eleven separate markets, each with their own distinctive theme. Some of the things you find will be unusual – the traditional ‘Pflaumentoffel’, a chimney-sweep figure made of dried prunes! – but always interesting, like the world’s tallest Christmas Pyramid.

5. Tallinn, Estonia

If you’re like Kevin from ‘Home Alone’ and have an unhealthy obsession with Christmas trees then look no further than Tallinn’s Christmas market. There has been a tree set up in winter in the Town Hall Square every year since 1441, making Tallinn the home of the very first Christmas tree on public display in Europe! Even better, you can enjoy the view of the market from various fairground rides. Munch on gingerbread here from 17th November to 6th January.

Emma is a sophomore at American University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Political Science and Women's Studies. She loves to write, journal, and blog in her free time. Emma is a Communications Intern at the Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE), a non-profit in DC. She is a social media editor for Her Campus American.