Things You Can Be On Halloween Besides Naked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Halloween is meant to be the scariest night of the year; a night when the dead come alive and invade your evening celebrations, stealing a beer on the way. It is supposed to be frightful, a night of ghouls and ghosts, wicked witches and terrifying monsters. But if you’re female and over the age of 13 then it can pretty much be summed up with iconic line from Mean Girls:  

“Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it”

Here at HCX we’re not into slut-shaming; there is obviously nothing wrong with dressing up like a ‘slut’ on Halloween. It can be fun, a chance to be overtly flirtatious, the opportunity to be someone you’re normally not, something which almost inevitably leads to pulling a vampire (although from experience waking up with white face paint all over your pillows and fake blood stains is more Saw than Twilight). 

However it’s also boring and it’s been done so many times before. Come on ladies, we have all year to dress up in tight black dresses and hotpants – you don’t need the pathetic guise of cat ears and whiskers to justify that. There’s nothing creative or scary about dressing up as an over-sexed cat, or playboy bunny, unless you’re being fablulously ironic, highlighting the horror that the ghoulish Hugh Hefner actually gets off to young girls dressing up as sexualised fury mammals – an irony I feel might get lost on a drunken Arena crowd. 

Halloween is the perfect time to be creative, to show how innovative, intelligent and funny you are. Instead of simply trying to look hot, or be sexy, why not ditch the cat outfit for a hilarious pop culture reference, a witty pun or just something plain ridiculous. By far the best Halloween outfits aren’t the ones you look fit in, but the ones that get people talking. My personal favourite? A girl I saw last year dressed as a one night stand, cleverly utilising an actual lamp shade. Or the YouTube sensation Jenna Marbles’ Blades of Glory couple costume. 

Still looking for ideas? Watch this!

Picture credits: meangirls; emotistyle; jennamarbles