This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

So I’m in a sorority. Pi Beta Phi, to be exact. The Mississippi Alpha chapter of Pi Beta Phi to be even more exact. And really it’s ΠΒΦ if you want to be completely accurate; those are our actual Greek letters. Joining and being part of a sorority has probably been one of the best parts of my study abroad experience so far, despite having only joined a few weeks ago and not yet being a fully initiated member (that happens in about a month) I have already met so many people, made so many friends and experienced so much. 

In case you were unaware, the most basic description of a sorority is that of an all-female society at US and Canadian colleges, there are numerous sororities with chapters all over North America, with different combinations of sororities having a presence at different schools (for example, out of the possible 26 sororities belonging to the National Panhellenic Conference, there are 7 present at my University, Southern Mississippi). They are usually described as social organizations but just as much emphasis is put on philanthropy (charity) and academics as well as being active members of the college community.

When applying to colleges, I knew that no matter where in the U.S. I ended up I wanted to go through recruitment and try to get in to a sorority, perhaps it was the glossy view of the ideal college experience or more likely because I had seen how much fun it looked from others, but it was something I was keen on from the start. I did a bit of research on ‘Greek life’ (sororities and fraternities basically) at USM but nothing could have prepared me for what it would truly be like. There’s more to being in a sorority than I could ever write but I’ll try to give some sort of an idea as to what is involved, starting with the recruitment process then talking about the different aspects of sorority life; however this is different at every college so my experience may be totally different to what you’d find elsewhere.

[pagebreak]

Sorority Recruitment took place a few weeks into term and is taken very seriously; there was a fee to sign up and we were assigned groups, I don’t know the exact numbers but with around 15-20 girls in each group and roughly 20 groups that meant there were almost 400 girls going through recruitment with me. In charge of each group were two girls who had temporarily disaffiliated from their sorority to guide you through the week and talk to you if you needed help. The week consisted of several days/evenings of events at each sorority house, and you would visit fewer and fewer as you dropped them and they cut you from their lists which is done on a computer at the end of each day, it went something like this:

Meet the Greeks: The first day involved going in to every house and talking to two or three girls for about 10 or 15 minutes. After this you would list your six ‘loved’ sororities and one that you just ‘liked’.  Clothing: Recruitment Shirt and Skirt or Shorts

Philanthropy Day: This was spread across two days, if you’re lucky you would visit the six houses you loved over the two days, but depending on the impression you made it could be fewer. Each house has a philanthropy, a charity they support and raise money for, on this day they would tell you about it and take you on a short house tour as well as chatting to you and answering any questions. You would then list your four ‘loved’ sororities who you would like to see again. Clothing: Casual Dress, Shorts or Trousers

Sisterhood Day: Visiting a maximum of four houses each sorority would put on a little show known as a ‘skit’ these were really fun and a good way to see how the dynamic between the girls worked. Again you would talk to a couple of the girls, and perhaps conversation would go a bit deeper and more meaningful than on previous days. After this you would pick just two sororities that you loved and wanted to return to. Clothing: Nice Sunday Dress

Preference Day: A far more serious day than before, you would visit a maximum of two houses, and the girls would sing or recite something meaningful to them. Conversation was more heartfelt as at this point you would let the sororities know if you were considering ranking them first or not, it was incredibly hard to let my second favourite know that my heart was somewhere else. You would then rank your most loved that you hoped to receive a bid from the following day. Clothing Cocktail Dress

Bid Day: All the girls still in the recruitment process (some had dropped out and some had been ‘released from the system’) gathered at the Sports Centre to receive their bids, we were each given an envelope which we could only open once everyone had theirs, in it was our bid and we would sign a contract to accept it. There were tears and screams all over when the bids were opened. We then ran to our sororities house (the roads had been blocked off and we had a police escort) whilst fraternity boys lined the roads cheering and playing music. We spent the rest of the day/evening with our sorority taking photos and going off campus to eat and celebrate together. 

[pagebreak]

It was an intense experience to say the least but I’m glad I went through it. Since joining I’ve had a pretty hectic schedule full of new-member meetings, Greek philanthropy events, and various bonding sessions. As for the social side there are a few different types of events: date parties, hosted off campus each girl can bring a guy of her choosing; swaps, the same as date parties but a sorority will partner up with a fraternity instead of each bringing a date; formals and semi-formals, which give you a chance to dress up nicely and spend a classy night out. So far I have been to a date party and a swap which were both really fun and a great way to get to know your sisters better. As well as these each different sorority will have certain unique events for example, Pi Beta Phi hosts a charity Dance-A-Thon to raise money as well as having a special party in Spring known as ‘Shipwrecked’ each year. 

It’s important for sororities to give back to their community, both through their philanthropy, donating their time to chosen causes and getting involved on campus. You must also keep a certain academic standard, and not fall below a certain GPA, which is roughly a mid 2:2 by UK standards, and if you do then extra help is provided but you are not allowed to attend social events.

I must admit that as a fairly reserved and self-deprecating British girl who values her individuality very highly I found the system quite strange at first. I was told I would no longer be just myself, I would also be ‘a Pi Phi girl’ and that I would have to take extra care in what impression I gave others as my actions would reflect on the whole of my sorority. There are also certain rules and some traditions that we are not even allowed to discuss with non-members, it’s all taken very seriously. And when I first listened to the girls talking about their sisterhood bonds and how they felt blessed to be together I couldn’t help feeling cynical, that maybe I would never quite get it, that my different upbringing would mean I’d always feel a bit distant. I’m still a very new member and some of my reservations are of course still present but the effort everyone has gone to to make me feel at home has truly touched me, and slowly I’m beginning to feel like a real part of something. So I encourage anyone studying abroad in the U.S. or Canada to give sorority life a go, it’s a way to get truly involved in college life and gives you so many instant new friends and you become part of a whole network of women across the world. I for one can’t wait for the year ahead of me with Pi Phi. 

Alice Calder is in her fourth year studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics at the University of Exeter. She spent her third year studying abroad at the University of Southern Mississippi where she fell in love with all things Deep South. After interning in Washington DC for the summer Alice's love of politics grew and developed into her career ambition. Aside from politics she likes music, exploring the great outdoors, and enjoying food in every possible form.