Study Abroad: Preparing For Departure Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Soon I will set sail on my year abroad, which marks one of the most exciting yet daunting parts of any linguist’s degree.  Later this month I will make the move to Vigo, Galicia. For many of my friends this is hardly surprising, but for those who don’t know me, I like Spain… a lot. Yet the region of Galicia is a somewhat unknown territory to me. Apart from a brief encounter this summer when I completed the Camino de Santiago, a pilgrimage across Northern Spain, I’ve never been to Galicia nor heard much about it. Through research (Wikipedia) I discovered that it is the home of Zara and boasts some of the most beautiful beaches in Spain- great news! However, it is also the wettest place in Europe. Better pack my wellies then!

Galicia is most well-known for the famous pilgrimage that ends in Santiago de Compostela; el camino de Santiago. In preparation for my year abroad I decided to embark on the trek with a school friend, starting 512km from Santiago. I thought doing the walk would be a great way to start my year abroad, particularly because the route takes you through much of the region where I will be living. The experience was tough at times but the elation we felt finally reaching Santiago was worth it. I enjoyed meeting lots of people of different nationalities and being able to practise my Spanish. I even tried to pick up a few words in Galician but had little success!

At the last 100km mark

A bit bleary eyed having just arrived at the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela at 6am.

[pagebreak]

Since then it has been sad saying goodbye to friends and the thought saddens me that I will not be with them in Exeter, many for whom it will be their last year. At home I have been nervously awaiting D-day. Seeing friends’ status updates already settling to life in the big cities of Paris, Madrid and Barcelona is making me more and more anxious. Doubt enters my mind; did I make the right decision in choosing somewhere so unfamiliar? Then I remind myself, Spain is a short two hour flight home. I commend all those who choose to go half way around the world where the opportunity of going home is almost impossible.

The question of where I am going to live is something I dread to think about. Like many other year abroad students in Europe, I plan on finding a flat to live in once I arrive in Spain. I hope to seek out somewhere central and most importantly with Spanish students. From past experience of renting in Spain, I know looking online how to spot suspect ads; like the 60 year old looking for twenty something girls to live with… decline! The most important thing to remember is that you must feel comfortable with who you are living with. Unlike the UK, most students and young people live with people they do not know. Even though I am not studying whilst I’m in Vigo, it is a big university town, so fingers crossed I will find somewhere.

Only two weeks to go!