Student House Hunting in Exeter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s that time of year again, the one we all think should be shelved until at least December 1st…house hunting season.  Students knocking on doors of letting agencies, trailing around 5 houses a day, hoping to find that perfect student house – reasonably cheap and not on the wrong end of Mount Pleasant. 

We’re told time and time again that houses won’t run out, to wait for the second wave that comes in January and under no circumstances, sign up to live with people you’ve only known for 3 months.  But we know it’s hard to fight temptation and let the housing panic set in, so here’s our guide to house hunting in Exeter and questions you should be asking yourself.

Location, location, location.

From St David’s to St James to Mount Pleasant, there are no shortage of student areas in Exeter. If you’re willing to sacrifice a bit more time in the morning for your walk to university you may want to have a look at houses around Mount Pleasant. This area is still flooded with students, so you won’t be alone, but you’re more likely to cut a better deal on rent here. If you need to be within a fifteen minute walk of campus, try starting your search around Pennsylvania and take any of the many roads that branch out from here. And for those who are set on keeping Mosaic Mondays within walking distance, you might want to check out St David’s. 

Should I go private or through an agency?

The majority of students will start their housing search through big student letting agents like Cardens, Gillams or Star Students. This is great if you want to get a feel for what is out there, general prices and where the biggest concentration of student housing is (see Vic Street and Well Street). But there are also downsides to letting through an agency – some agencies charge an initial handling fee which isn’t a huge amount, but it’s something to be on the lookout for. A great way to find private landlords is just to have a wander around some of the streets of Exeter looking for posters in windows or checking out the universities list of private landlords, which will be released on Tuesday 13th January. 

Also keep an eye out for these student let opportunities: UNITE student housing; Student Cribs; VITA housing and Picturehouse apartments. 

Pick your housemates carefully.

Just because they’re a great laugh on a night out, doesn’t mean they’ll be equally as good at washing up a week’s worth of dishes or paying the water bill on time. Don’t rush into things. Leaving your house search until January will give you time to really suss out who would be a great person to have around when you’re working through the night or just really want a TV night in. 

Don’t be afraid to ask questions.

When you first view a house, it’s easy to overlook the stained carpets and damp above the shower, but that’s the brilliance of second viewings! Okay, it has the requisite number of bedrooms and bathrooms and you really like the size of the television in the sitting room, but remember to keep a look out for a few things. Is there mould or damp in places there really shouldn’t be? Does the shower actually give out hot water for more than five minutes? It’s okay to really look around, question the landlord or letting agent with you, or even the students who are living in the house when you visit. It’s likely you’ll be paying thousands of pounds in rent over the next academic year; it’s okay to be a little cautious. 

Don’t be disheartened if you don’t find a house within your first day of hunting, it’s better to be 100% sure about the house you’ll be spending the next year in that signing a contract and being stuck with something you realise you don’t want. Also, remember, if the house is dirt cheap, there’s usually a reason!

The ‘Don’t Rush’ campaign launched by the Student’s Guild is also aiming to let students know there is no need to rush into bagging a house this side of Christmas. The Guild’s housing fair will take place on Tuesday 13th January in the Great Hall. Go along, look around, ask questions and get a real feel of what’s out there!

Photo Credits:

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodation/currentstudents/returningstudents/

www.geograph.org.uk