Shoes to take you from Graduate to Glam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Finally Summer has arrived, which means that the academic year is almost over and for those graduating this term, the end of your time at Exeter is drawing near. With your final months being scattered with an array of events such as Graduation Day, the Grad Ball, and the Enchanted Ball, it can be difficult to find a pair of new shoes versatile enough to take you from one event to the next. Fortunately for you, Her Campus has come up with a few pointers of how to find fashionable yet functional footwear that complements both your cocktail dress and your mortar board.

The Classic Court

Pointed court shoes with a mid-heel are always present in shops and on the well-shod feet of celebs at the moment, which is lucky for those of you who are graduating as it means you can still look current without the discomfort of 6 inch platforms. Pointed courts are timeless, and not only are they universally formal, they ooze a sexiness that is perfect for a ball. To make your money go that little bit further, court shoes can add a touch of intrigue to an everyday outfit, as shown by Made in Chelsea’s Rosie Fortescue, not just for occasion wear. This pair from Zara is good investment at £39.99, the sheer panels modernising this ageless footwear friend, into something incredibly feminine.  

[pagebreak]

The Wonder Wedge

In the past considered the least formal of the ‘heel family’, the wedge has received a shoe-royalty status thanks to footwear preferences of Princess Kate. The mother to the future monarch frequently teams formal attire with a wedge heel to perform her stately duties, proving that wedges really have won the royal seal of approval and can be a practical choice for a formal occasion.

Better still there are a lot of wedges on the high street that are surprisingly dainty, almost streamlined; far superior to its clumpy, cork-heeled cousin.  Asos have great black suede wedges  (£42) which are both chic and supportive with the ankle strap and although they could be seen as slightly demure for a ball, if shown off with bright toe nails, they are ideal for taking you from the Great Hall to the dance floor

The Super Sandal

If the possibility or probability of falling in heels on your Graduation day is too much to bear, why not try a sandal? Avoiding aching feet is a massive bonus but sandals also are a beautiful bohemian addition to a maxi dress at a ball. With so many styles available, try a simple flat sandal or a small block heel. Face-planting nightmares over!

Remember, for Graduation Day the university asks for dark footwear which is suitable for walking up the steps so don’t buy anything you’re not comfortable in, it’ll make for a much more enjoyable day!

Photo credits:

www.atfashionforte.com

www.asos.com

www.zara.com

www.whatkatewore.com

www.pinterest.com