This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week, HCX presents to you the threatre prodcution review of The Woman in Black by Laura Bailey and why she’ll never be able to hear the sound of a rocking chair without freaking out.

When I heard that the famously terrifying theatre production of ‘The Woman in Black’ was to be presented in Exeter’s Northcott Theatre, I just knew I had to go. Renowned for making people jump and scream, this adaptation of Susan Hill’s best-selling novel is described as the most terrifying live theatre experience in the world. It certainly did not disappoint.

As soon as the lights were dimmed, the audience are immersed in the story of Arthur Kipps, played by David Acton, and The Actor, played by Matthew Spencer. The stage set is simple, there was a chair, a stool, and a large wicker trunk, all used in turn to represent objects and modes of transport. A particular favourite is when they are imagined to be a pony and trap, the two actors sat on top of the trunk, bobbing along in unison. Yes, the imaginations of the audience are required – but once you suspend your disbelief it’s amazing what you will see! The plot is fairly basic: an elderly gentleman wishes to put on a play of a ghost story that has haunted him his whole life, and with the help of an actor, the story is brought to life. Together they tell the tale of Mr Kipps’ time spent at Eel Marsh House, where the ghost of a young woman with a wasted face, dressed all in black, caused the upmost terror and fright.

In the grips of the tale, however, the story line becomes almost redundant. Instead the audience spend the majority of their time recovering from the jumps and screams caused as a result of the appearances of the woman in black. From hearing her bloodcurdling screams to seeing her face at the top of the staircase, the producers have not shied away from trying to terrify us. Yet there is one aspect of the play that everybody talks about afterwards (no it’s not when she walks down the aisle silently, although that is pretty scary too); it is the sound of a rocking chair rocking, which gradually gets louder and faster, and yet when the actor finds it, there is nobody sat in the chair! The sound becomes a motif and will forever be the most terrifying sound to hear.

David Acton is perfect in the role of old Arthur Kipps. As he is an extremely versatile actor, he adapted to all of his characters extremely well; his characterisation of Keckwick is especially memorable, his grunts providing comic relief in between the horrors unfolding. I was also struck by how talented Matthew Spencer is. His soliloquys were eloquent and his interaction with the imaginary dog Spider was nothing short of inspiring.

If you are someone who does not like feeling of your heart stopping for a moment, this is not the play for you. However if you enjoy the thrill of the unexpected, the intensity of the suspense and the spinetingling, hair-raising chill of the ghost of the woman, I would recommend the play in a heartbeat – if it hasn’t stopped that is! 

Thumbnail image can be found here.

English Third Year Undergraduate