Reclaiming ‘Englishness’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This Saturday 16th, Exeter was even busier that it would normally be on a Saturday in the run-up to Christmas. The city played host to the last English Defence League march of 2013 and in opposition Exeter Together and English Disco Lovers. I went into town to soak up the atmosphere of both teams and ultimately it would seem that the core argument between both camps was their differing concepts of Englishness, or perhaps more correctly Britishness

I walked with the huge crowd behind the Exeter Together banner; there was an array of unions, groups, families, ages, styles and plenty of music. It felt like a positive, real community bubbling with friendly chatter. There was not a sense of provocation but rather a mickey-take of the ‘EDL’ abbreviation. Once gathered in Bedford Square, outside Princesshay shopping centre, it was announced by the two upbeat announcers that well over 1000 people had walked and assembled. The message was that Exeter is not a city of opposing parts of society, but that whichever religion, race, sexuality, union and background you are part of, Exeter welcomes you and profits from such a mix. Their version of being British is to integrate and learn from each other’s backgrounds and opinions. They recognise that Britishness is a mix of diversity, culture, creativity and social harmony. It was hard not to have a smile on your face and join in with the supportive heckle and applause.

My following experience outside the Locomotive pub with the English Defence League march could not have contrasted more. The first clear observation was the intimidatingly large police presence which efficiently corralled them into the confined smoking area space on the pavement. The second was the blatant disregard to demonstrate respect. This may seem obvious, but I was prepared to converse with and watch them with as little prejudgement as possible. Unfortunately for those of us on the other side of the road our lowest expectations were realised. They were admirably faithful to their views and prepared to loudly voice these and go against the social grain in supporting them. No matter how vehemently I disagree with what they stand for, it was clear that no matter the restrictions placed on their movements and turnout of a triple-sized opposition they would walk and attract attention.

The English Defence League’s message of Englishness was unsurprisingly one of anti-Islam, using strict and exclusive methods to prevent what they argue as the spread of the religion’s influence into the country. It would have been easier to listen to their arguments of reducing unemployment and furthering women’s rights as they describe reasonably on their website, if the people who were present in Exeter showed a scrap of decorum. To witness a small group of people drinking, shouting generalised and vulgar statements, leering and offering obscenities in our direction was not the way to gain a patient audience. Whilst holding a St Georges flag emblazoned with, ‘Not racist, not violent, no longer silent’, whilst members of the crowd wear burqas in clear mockery did not seem to me to be just “a bit of a laugh”, as one member told me.

For the English Defence League to expect airtime and not be labelled as an extremist group in the same way that they label the Muslim faith in this country will never, and should never happen. I somehow can’t see a shift in the future to reasonable debates if other cities around the country see demonstrations in the same way that I saw on Saturday. Being British is having the right to freedom of association and freedom of speech, that should not be abused and instead should be celebrated in the way that I feel the Exeter Together group and others showed in opposition to the Defence League.

Photo Credits: Isobel Petersen

Second year student at Exeter studying International Relations with French. Whilst trying to procrastinate from my 9 hours a week, I play lacrosse and now do a bit of writing for HCX, going out with friends and love a good bit of sofa time at mine on Longbrook Street. Hoping when I grow up to have a career in journalism or international development as well as trying to visit as many countries as possible.