Recipe of the Week: Quick Cookies for The Despairing Baker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

We all reach that point in term where we just need to treat ourselves with something sweet, warm and tasty from the oven. Yet, if you’re like me, you will often avoid baking if it means buying ingredient after ingredient or a complicated recipe. So, I was thrilled when (after some unsuccessful experimentation), I managed to produce the perfect recipe. As this is the start of term you may not be at that level of stress and despair yet, but I’m posting this now for when those deadlines approach. These cookies are also wonderful to wake up to when hungover!

Time: 10 minutes

Cost: £6.00

Amount: 2 Dozen

Buy the ingredients firsthand – but to make them again you will only need to rebuy the butter and your fillings.

These cookies will give you that sweet fix (and you can choose whatever you want to go in them) yet the oats will allow you to pretend they’re totally healthy. You could also add nutrition through fruit and nuts, or replace some of the flour with cocoa to make chocolate oat cookies.

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan).
  2. Slightly melt one small block of butter (250g) in the microwave and mix with 300g/1.5 cups of brown sugar.
  3. Add an egg and some salt.
  4. Add vanilla flavouring and some chocolate (or your own substitute eg. nuts, dried fruit).
  5. Add 225g/1.5 cups of flour and 180g/2 cups of oats (Tesco‘s own porridge oats will do!).
  6. Bake for 8-10 minutes (perfect if you want to eat them gooey and half-baked!) or for 10-12 minutes (if you like them a little more well done).

This recipe will make around 2 baking trays worth of large cookies, so there’s plenty for your whole flat or house, and this recipe is even cheaper if the cost is shared!