Recipe of the Week: Pesto Courgetti

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This ‘Pesto Courgetti’ is a perfect low carb dinner whilst being filling, packed with flavour and full of vitamins to keep you healthy. This vegetarian recipe is a cheap, meat alternative and still has a good balance of protein from the chickpeas and good fats from the avocado. A spiralizer is useful to get a spaghetti-like shape, however if you don’t own a spiralizer you can use a vegetable peeler to make courgette ribbons.

Ingredients (serves 2)

3 courgettes, spiralized

½ jar of basil pesto

½ can of chickpeas, drained

1 red onion, finely chopped

2 tsp coconut oil

40g goats cheese

1 avocado

Method

1. Finely chop the red onion and spiralize the courgettes.
  2. Add 2 tsp coconut oil (or other oil) to a wok on a medium heat and add the onion, fry for 2-3 minutes.
  3. Add the courgettes to the wok and continually turn over witha spatula for 2-3 minutes.
  4. In the meantime, drain the chickpeas and if using the avocado, whizz up the pesto and avocado in the food processor. If you don’t have a food processor you can mash the avocado and mix with the pesto.
  5. Add the chickpeas and pesto mix to the courgettes and warm through, whilst stirring for 2 minutes.
  6. Serve the courgetti and tear the goats’ cheese on top. Also tastes great with a few rocket leaves.

No bloated feeling, no guilt, just pure, nourishing, delicious-ness!

I am a third year Sport and Exercise Science student at Exeter Uni. I have strong interests in nutrition and health. I keep fit by going to fitness classes and playing football and believe that exercise makes us feel great! I also run a healthy food blog via Instagram (@foodie_bee) and on the web (www.foodie--bee.blogspot.co.uk). Here I post articles to do with healthy eating on a student budget and current trends in the healthy food industry. In the future I hope to have a job involved with nutrition and helping people to live a healthy lifestyle.