Recipe of the Week: Buckwheat ‘Risotto’ Packed with Greens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This dish is quick, easy, healthy, cheap and delicious – what more could you want!

Buckwheat is a healthier choice than risotto rice because it is gluten free, high in antioxidants, low GI, high in fibre and a high protein grain. The spinach is an excellent source of iron and vitamin K, C, A, these nutritional properties help with blood and bone health. This recipe is packed with greens and antioxidants – perfect to detoxify after the festive period!

Ingredients

1/2 cup of roasted buckwheat groats (I bought mine from a local wholefoods shop)

2 cups of spinach

1 closed cup mushroom (or 4/5 button mushrooms)

1/4 chopped onion

30g of mature cheddar cheese

1 tsp low sodium vegetable stock powder (or 1/2 stock cube)

1 tsp of virgin coconut oil

Method

1. In a saucepan bring some water, with a tsp of vegetable stock powder, to the boil and add the buckwheat to simmer for 10 mins.

2. Meanwhile in a frying pan heat the coconut oil then add the chopped onion and sauté for a minute or two.

3. Next add the mushrooms to the pan and sauté for a further 2 mins.

4. Add the spinach and allow to cook until it has wilted down, once this has happened take the pan of the heat.

5. After 10 mins simmering, drain the buckwheat and put back in the saucepan.

6. Combine the buckwheat, mushroom and spinach mix and cheddar cheese in the saucepan, and the dish is ready to serve.

Tip: Season with salt and pepper and fresh parsley or basil.

I am a third year Sport and Exercise Science student at Exeter Uni. I have strong interests in nutrition and health. I keep fit by going to fitness classes and playing football and believe that exercise makes us feel great! I also run a healthy food blog via Instagram (@foodie_bee) and on the web (www.foodie--bee.blogspot.co.uk). Here I post articles to do with healthy eating on a student budget and current trends in the healthy food industry. In the future I hope to have a job involved with nutrition and helping people to live a healthy lifestyle.