This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The announcement of Prince Harry’s engagement to Meghan Markle has been met with celebrations in both the UK and the US (and probably a lot of tears, what are all the ‘marry me harry’ girls going to do now?). Markle is definitely not the typical candidate for the role of princess; she is an American divorcee, an actress and mixed-race. Many hope that her new role as a princess will mark the beginning of a new modern era for the monarchy. Reading the news coverage on this, I can’t help but think about Princess Grace Kelly. Grace was not your average princess either but after her marriage to Prince Rainier became a global icon in fashion, politics and philanthropy. In this article I’m going to look at the lives of these two showgirls and their princes.

The most obvious similarity between the two is that they’re both American actresses. Markle is probably best known for her portrayal of Rachel Zane in the binge-worthy series Suits. Grace Kelly is famous for her roles in films directed by Alfred Hitchcock, including the Real Window, Dial M for Murder and To Catch a Thief. Despite her success, Markle has followed the path of Grace Kelly as she has decided to not return to film more seasons of Suits. The two have both retired out of acting in order to become princesses.

Once Grace Kelly became Princess of Monaco, she didn’t simply disappear from the spotlight. The Princess became a human rights icon, advocating for the end of violence and abuse towards children all over the globe through the founding of the NGO AMADE Mondiale. She also headed the Monaco Red Cross, holding sumptuous galas which her former co-stars would attend. Although not yet a member of the royal family, Markle has campaigned for gender equality and female empowerment through the UN and has travelled to Rwanda for the Clean Water Campaign, putting her celebrity to good use just like Princess Grace.

Aside from their philanthropy, Kelly and Markle have influenced the world through their fashion. Meghan often frequents New York Fashion Week in her signature French-inspired monochrome wardrobe. She is sophisticated and stylish in her suits and pencil skirts which she has become known for. The name Grace Kelly screams sophistication, style and indulgence. Her relationship with Christian Dior and his ‘New Look’ of elegant silhouettes and a classic string of pearls around her neck established her as a global fashion icon. Add a tiara to Markle’s style and I’m sure she’ll be just as iconic as Princess Grace.

In short, these two are both extraordinary women. They have used their positions of influence to campaign on behalf of some of the world’s poorest communities. Their elegance and style makes both Kelly and Markle icons in their own right. They are two incredibly sophisticated role models for women today.