#NeverOk Campaign Goes Global

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

An NUS survey which found that two thirds of those who participated had heard rape or sexual assault jokes on campus makes having your bum grabbed on a night out a less surprising event. Guild President Rachel Gillies herself stated that she has ‘been catcalled and I’ve been referred to as a slut.‘ Exeter University’s Student Guild is now hitting back with the #NeverOk campaign.

Taking cues from Manchester University’s #WeGetIt and Washington’s ‘It’s On Us’ campaigns, the #NeverOk video stars lecturers, sports players and even David Tenant, who joined in whilst filming Broadchurch. The powerful message of the campaign, co-created by Guild President Gillies and Kate Hawkins, Vice-President of Welfare and Diversity, speaks to anyone who has experienced the ever-growing phenomenon of ‘lad culture’.

Defined by a group of students in a recent NUS survey as a ‘group’ mentality linked to alcohol consumption or ‘banter which was often sexist, misogynist or homophobic’, ‘lad culture’ has come to permeate many aspects of University life. From sexually explicit and degrading comments that can be overheard in the Forum by immature students, to physical harm, the nasty consequences of sexual harassment can quickly get out of hand. How many of us have been groped inappropriately on a night out? And how many of us have never said anything for fear of being accused of overreacting?

Even an article on Cosmopolitan magazine’s website about the global reach of the #NeverOk campaign demonstrates why it is more relevant than ever. On the website, one man commented on the experiences of sexual harrassment as told by Molly Flitcroft, President of Exeter University’s Feminist Society, saying:”That’s the WORST incident of sexual harassment that Molly Flitcroft has suffered??? I wonder what the LEAST BAD incident involved.” Yet another person whose comments are Never Ok. 

It is downright shocking that being sexually harrassed on a night out, or even in broad daylight on campus, is considered an unsurprising anecdote these days. Thank goodness that Exeter is starting to wake up, and realise that this is #NeverOk: “Sexual harrassment should be defined personally. Catcalling, inappropriate jokes and chants, we want to empower our students to call it out.” says Gillies. 

However, as with similar campaigns of this style, it is easy to be critical. After all, empowering students to call out the behaviour of their peers is not the easiest of tasks. Our ingrained University culture is not about to undergo an attitudinal shift just because David Tenant says so. Yet, we can hope for the reducation of sexual harassment on campus if fellow students get onboard, and this is where the genius of the #NeverOk campaign lies. Societies and sports clubs alike are all contributing their efforts in showing what #NeverOk means to them, and the Student’s Guild has set up an anonymous forum for students to talk. You can also sign the Never Ok pledge (https://www.exeterguild.org/neverok/pledge/) on the Student Guild website to help challenge the disgusting behaviour which so many students have come to accept as normal. 

One person’s catcall of ‘You slut!’ may well be someone else’s banter, but Exeter has put its foot down- this is Never Ok. 

Maxine Vining is currently a 3rd year History and Politics student, and Current Affairs Editor at HCX.