This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With the weather getting colder, and your bed getting comfier, HCX decided to create a list of movies that you can watch throughout the week. So, get some takeaway and prepare your hot chocolates, because you are going to love a week of staying in!

#motivationmonday: Whiplash

It’s Monday! Which means that you need that extra bit of motivation to get yourself in gear. What better way, than by watching ‘Whiplash’, written and directed by Damien Chazelle and based on his real-life experience in a jazz band. Staring Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons, this film is utterly brilliant as it hauntingly follows Andrew’s (Teller) quest to become the greatest drummer in the world, and his relationship with his abusive teacher, Terrence Fletcher (Simmons). This film is awesome – as in, it leaves you in awe – of Andrew’s fight to become the best that he can be and questions the how far you’re willing to go, to get what you want. 

Best quotation: “There are no two words in the English language more harmful than ‘good job’.”

Hidden Gem: Melissa Benoist (a.k.a Supergirl) as Andrew’s love interest.

If you liked this, try: The Pursuit of Happiness

#transformationtuesday: White Chicks

Tuesdays are awful, and no one remembers what they do on Tuesday. Well, have no fear, we’ve got you an unforgettable film for you in the form of the 2004 hit, ‘White Chicks.’ Now considered a cult classic, you’ll be obsessed with quoting lines from the show and dancing to Vanessa Carlton’s ‘A thousand miles’ (if you are not already). Two black cops, dress up as white chicks in order to suss out the leader of socialite kidnappings – what’s not to love? It’s a feel good film, packed with parody and punchlines to make your Tuesday a hit!

Best quotation: I’m so freaking pissed.

Hidden Gem: Terry Crews singing.

If you liked this, try: The Other Guys

#womancrushwednesday: Picture Perfect

Our woman crush this week is the one and only Jennifer Aniston, in the 1997 film, ‘Picture Perfect.’ Kate (Aniston) is a driven woman but is held back by the ridiculous idea that because she isn’t in a relationship, she’s not stable enough to handle a promotion. Watch as Kate attempts to navigate her way through the advertising world and juggle the relationship between a colleague and a random man, she’s somehow convinced people that she’s engaged to, all for the job she loves. It’s a great film for girls’ night, and who doesn’t love 90s Jenn Aniston?

Best quotation: “I’m looking for “Susan’s Single Friend, Kate.” They told me they thought she came out here.” “Yeah that’s me.”

Hidden Gem: 90s fashion.

If you liked this, try: Legally Blonde

#throwbackthursday: Shrek

What better way to reminisce about your childhood than with the classic Dreamworks film, ‘Shrek’. Taking tropes and characters from fables, this clever film explores the world of fairy tales in an exciting and unusual way, starting with the biggest anti-hero of all time. Full of jokes and gags for parents and children alike, Shrek will make you feel like you’re visiting old friends again on your TV screen.

Best quotation: No, not the buttons! Not my gumdrop buttons!

Hidden Gem: Donkey’s lines. All of them.

If you liked this, try: How to Train Your Dragon

#fridayfeeling: Superbad

Don’t feel like going out? Stay in instead and make it feel like you are with our pick of ‘Superbad’, the story of two high school teens attempting to fit into the partying world. If you thought freshers’ week was crazy, you’re in for a surprise with the excitement and fast paced hilarity that is ‘Superbad.’ Written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg when they were thirteen, it’s no wonder why so many people love this film and can relate to it.  

Best quote: I am McLovin!

Hidden Gem: Seth Rogen and Bill Hader as cops.

If you liked this, try: Project X

#Saturdaynightvibes: The Hangover

Don’t feel like going out? Stay in instead and make it feel like you are with our pick of the wonderful classic film, ‘The Hangover’, the morning after the best party in the world. Follow the three best friends that anyone could have, as they attempt to find Doug, and run into a Chinese Gangster, Mike Tyson and his pet tiger; ‘The Hangover’ gives a whole new meaning to the word ‘party’. It’s perfect for those of you who love a good night out, without the hassle.

Best quote: It’s a satchel!

Hidden Gem: Stu’s song, ‘What do Tigers Dream of?’

If you liked this, try: Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle

#sundayfunday: Keanu

Cure that Sunday languor and looming Monday morning feeling with the feel good film, ‘Keanu’, brought to you by the minds of Key and Peele. A baby kitten gets stolen by a drug gang, and its owners need to infiltrate it in order to get back their beloved, Keanu – yes, the cat is named after the actor. It’s a wacky film with a great cast and an adorable kitten, so what are you waiting for?

Best quote: “You want to never get pulled over again, you drive an inconspicuous family vehicle.”

Hidden Gem: The cutest cat in the world.

If you liked this, try: 21 Jump Street

Let us know in the comments what your favourite movie is, or if we missed out on any!

Thumbnail image can be found here.

English and French undergrad at the University of Exeter