Style

Mothers’ Day: The Fashion and Beauty Edit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Mothering Sunday falls on the 11th March this year. Although it should be every day that we appreciate the love and support our mothers give, the holiday is the perfect opportunity to invest in pampering the women that brought us up in this world and has put up with some pretty questionable antics.

Gone are the eezy-breezy days when we could take full credit for a full breakfast in bed (even though our only contribution was precariously carrying it up the stairs). However, this doesn’t mean that we need to splurge excessively to show our appreciation to our no.1 source of wisdom. Here is a selection some simple fashion and beauty related gifts to provide the pampering that our mums deserve and to make them feel like glam boss that they truly are.

Lush

It’s a tried and tested law that you cannot go wrong with lush cosmetics where gifts are concerned, and mothers’ day is no exception. They have a selection of aptly named bath bombs such as ‘Incredible mum’ with a wonder woman-esque design. Another option is the ‘Mum, look what I made you’ with a caption that reads, ‘the bath bomb only a mother could love’. Tug at the heartstrings and dig out an old drawing or letter with this second one for optimum sentimental effect. Can’t decide between too many different products for things you didn’t even know you needed? Opt for a not-too pricey ‘Thanks Mum’ gift set, costing under £20. This set is aimed towards revitalization and balance, including shower gel infused with Suma root to reduce fatigue and orange oil that helps lift mood. Perhaps we’ll get that little bit closer to our mum’s secret to having the answer for everything.

Not on the High Street.com

Another go to but by no means cliché is Not on the High Street. A useful subsection upon searching for mother’s day related ideas is ‘gifts from older children’ section, which refreshingly does not assume that we have more money to spend! One item that stood out was an engraved mirror, reading, ‘this woman is strength and love’. Perfect for the make up moguls among mothers and those who want to get more acquainted, this gift is also under £20 and serves as a perfect reminder of the qualities we admire most about the main woman in our lives every time she starts the day or takes her makeup off at night. If she loves her jewelry but is a sucker for traditional gifts, the website also has a personalized friends and family locket. Shaped like a heart but when opened flowers into a 4 leaf clover, you can opt for four pictures or a combination of pictures personal engravings. A thoughtful option especially if we don’t get to see our mothers that often, she can wear a little piece of our love whatever the occasion.

Experiences

If you get the chance to spend mother’s day at home or if your parents are paying you a visit, why not make a day of it? This option would be useful if you are planning to split a present with a sibling, parent or another family member! Debenhams offer great gift cards, which offer additional selected complimentary treats if you add £50, such as personal shopping experiences, makeover sessions or a hot drink and snack to refresh after all that indulging, and then some! You might want to test the waters as subtly as you can before buying however, as this might not be for everyone. For something unique to Exeter, the Phoenix offers many creative designs and craft classes that you and your mum can take part in together. Some of these include making your own purses and lampshade making. Both of these cost under £30 and from this you can take away something that you made with each other that are one of a kind.

I hope this slice of fashion and beauty related gifts get you inspired in treating your mum this mothers’ day.