The Morning After Pill: What You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

So it’s the morning after the night before, you’re lying in bed next to your partner and slowly that cold feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach creeps over you. Maybe you were being sensible but the condom split or came off, maybe you missed a pill, or maybe things got a little out of hand after a few drinks and you simply forgot. Either way, you’re lying in bed and all those little ‘what-ifs’ are running through your head; so what do you do?

There seems to be a stigma surrounding the ‘myth’ of the morning after pill. Girls who take the morning-after pill can be considered ‘sluts’ or that they ‘sleep-around’ and don’t think about the consequences. The introduction of the new 5-day after pill last year (read about it here) caused huge controversy; with those against the tablet claiming it would increase sexual promiscuity and unsafe sex. Plucking up the courage to get checked out and pick up the pill can be very difficult with all the negative connotations this tiny tablet evokes. Exeter students seems to be undecided in their opinions:

“I think emergency contraception is a good thing, otherwise there would be babies all over the place, but it shouldn’t be relied upon”

“Compared to other countries, the UK has a good system for accessing emergency contraception. It’s good that you can get it over the counter, as the thought of seeing a doctor might put some people off, but I think the number of times you can take it should be restricted. It’s not worth having a baby just because you’re afraid of being judged

Even the most sensible of girls get caught out sometimes, and by doing the practical thing and getting help from your local Sexual Health Clinic or Pharmacy, you’re putting your mind at ease.  Figures show that women who actually take the pill are in their late teens to mid-thirties, and are usually extremely sexually responsible.

According to TIME magazine; “The average woman who has taken emergency contraceptives is college-educated, never married and aged 18-29. She began having sex in her teens, is slightly less likely than women in the general population to have ever had an abortion, is nearly twice as likely to have had a pelvic exam or Pap smear, and is nearly 10 times as likely to have talked to her doctor at least once about EC (emergency contraception). She is also not likely to use the morning-after pill regularly: 61% of users had only done so once.”

So what is it, how does it work, and where can you get one if you’ve been caught out?

What is it and How does it work?

In the UK, the morning-after pill or PCP (post-coital pill) prescribed by most doctors and healthcare officials is known as Levonelle. This pill contains a female-type hormone called ‘levonorgestrel’, similar to the hormones found in the usual contraceptive pills. The pill works by affecting ovulation; it prevents the release of an egg and alters the lining of the womb so that the egg cannot embed itself there. You can actually take the tablet up to 72 hours after sex (unless you’re using the new 5-day after pill), but it is most effective the sooner you take it. It does not cause abortions, and will not work if you’re already pregnant. It’s a myth that you can only take the morning-after pill once, but it’s not recommended that you take them regularly or use them as an alternate source of contraception, and you shouldn’t take the tablet more than once during a cycle. There are no suggestions that the morning-after pill affects your long-term fertility, or that it has lasting effects on your health, although you may suffer slight nausea, breast tenderness and menstrual irregularities for a few days after taking it. If you’re on some kind of contraceptive pill, you can continue taking it as normal after taking the morning-after pill. It does not protect you however from STI’s like Chlamydia, Herpes or Gonorrhea, so if you’re with a new partner or are just a little unsure, get yourself checked out as soon as possible.

Where do I go?

You can buy the normal morning-after pill over the counter from most pharmacies without a prescription. You’ll have to pay around £25, and answer a few general questions about your health and sexual activity. Remember, these people are healthcare professionals and deal with these types of situations every day, so don’t be embarrassed and leave out something important. Alternatively, you can now buy the morning-after pill online from Lloyds Pharmacy. If you have a Sexual Health Centre or Drop-In Centre nearby you can get an appointment with an emergency contraception nurse, who will give you advice, ask some questions and administer the pill for free. Check online to see where your nearest clinic is. However, it is important to stress that pharmacies cannot legally sell you the pill if you’ve taken it within the last month, and Doctors or Nurses would be extremely reluctant to give it to you. The sexual health clinic in Exeter is on Sidwell Street (opposite The Monkey Suite), or you can book an appointment at the student health centre on Campus.

Of course, Her Campus is in no way promoting regular use of emergency contraception, or the practice of unsafe sex. But if you have made a mistake, then knowing where to look for help and sorting the myths from the facts certainly helps. Check out Her Campus Exeter’s guides to contraception, including the injection, the IUS or IUD, and the implant for more information.

Article Research

http://healthland.time.com/2011/04/28/whos-using-the-morning-after-pill/#ixzz2Hlm34ubN

http://www.levonelle.co.uk/busting-the-myths.htm

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relationships/facts/morningafterpill.htm

Image Credits:

Theeyemagazine.co.uk

Spuc-director.blogspot.com

Relationshipinlove.com

Caroline Butten is a Third Year English student at The University of Exeter. She is planning to pursue a career in Publishing after graduating next Summer, and finds being President of the Exeter chapter of Her Campus is a great way to develop her editorial, marketing and business skills. As well as writing and editing articles for Her Campus, Caroline has a lifestyle blog and enjoys posting about fashion, beauty and baking. Her favourite publications include the UK magazines Company, Glamour and Cosmopolitan. Favourite books include The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë and any kind of cookery book. On campus, she is a part of the Netball and Lacrosse Clubs, and also studies French language as part of her degree. After University, Caroline plans to spend some time working in Paris both to improve her French and to explore in depth the city she loves. 
Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.