Love, Rosie Film Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If you’re looking for an intelligent and heart-warming love story to watch, Love, Rosie is the film for you.

The plot, based on Cecelia Ahern’s 2004 bestseller ‘Where Rainbows End’, follows the youthful aspirations and later struggles of best-friends-since-babies Alex (Sam Claflin) and Rosie (Lily Collins) as they manage to remain connected throughout their dramatically different journeys in life.

The seemingly unending run of painful twists and tensions will have you on the edge of your seat throughout. Love, Rosie also gives more depth than your average chick flick, reeling you into the film’s will-they-won’t-they storyline. This is also balanced by a host of light laughs, which were surprisingly risqué at times!

The movie spans across a twelve-year period, showcasing the characters’ school dating dramas as well as their later marriages and entry into two very different working worlds. It’s impossible not to become attached to charming Harvard boy Alex and the pure-hearted, outspoken Rosie, along with an equally talented supporting cast (including Burberry model Suki Waterhouse, who plays the high-maintenance Type A girlfriend with immaculate obnoxiousness). Importantly, the central pair’s on-screen chemistry also couldn’t be more believable, even when they’re convincing themselves that they’re just friends – I haven’t wanted a couple to be together so much since The Notebook!

Although it may have been unpopular with some critics for straying a little towards the cheesy side, the missed-chances storyline is believable and the characters are endearing. Love, Rosie has been adored by every girl I’ve spoken to about it. So whether you’re looking to laugh or cry, this emotional rollercoaster of a movie is the perfect watch for any lover of romance, adventure and happy endings. So good you could watch it twice.

Photo Credits: 

www.evoke.ie 

Esther is in her second year at the University of Exeter studying English Literature with Proficiency in Spanish. She is currently the Marketing Director for Her Campus Exeter and enjoys dancing, travelling, baking and exploring Exeter with her friends.