lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Love is Priceless: Valentine’s Day on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Whether you’re single, in a relationship or have successfully bagged a boy for the occasion, Valentine’s Day can be a source of both joy and frustration for students. On the one hand, the thought of a whole day dedicated to romance, dates and cuddly toys is hard to resist. However, one look at your bank account and you realise in reality you might have to spend February 14th your ratty old teddy bear and that card from a “secret admirer” your Dad sends every year.

All is not lost though – there are many ways to make the most of Valentine’s day without a single high street purchase. Here’s how…

Box it Up

The pressure of what to get your partner for Valentine’s Day is made even worse when you’re strapped for cash. However, this is a chance to get recycling and make a unique and thoughtful gift. Regret spending the last of your overdraft on that amazing pair of shoes? Not to worry, simply wrap the shoebox in some decorative paper and fill it with memories. Whether it be a cinema ticket, a treasured photo, a key ring from a trip you shared…This is a gift that can be used over and over again.

Cook a Meal

This could well be a terrifying prospect for most students, but cooking a meal for your date is a cheap and fun alternative to going to a posh restaurant. Whether you stick with a recipe you know in order to avoid culinary disasters, or spice things up and try something new you are bound to impress, whilst saving some pennies too!

Get Creative

Making your own Valentine’s Day card sounds a bit juvenile, but it’s a sure fire way to let your loved one know you care – use odds and ends from around the house and get inventive with your decorating. But if sprinkling glitter onto a hand drawn love heart isn’t your thing, there’s plenty of other ways to DIY…

Make your own chocolate!

Never mind traipsing down to Thorntons for the obligatory box of chocolates, why not try making your own? The internet is a treasure chest of recipes “how to videos” but HCX have found one that involves adding glitter (and who doesn’t love glitter?) If you’re single this Valentine’s Day, why not have the girls over for a chocolate-making session followed by movies…

Bring the Cinema to your Sitting Room

Who needs the cinema when you have DVDs and home- made chocolate? Her Campus have compiled a quick list of our favourite rom-coms which would make excellent viewing pleasure.

#5: Bridget Jones – An essential watch, every girl can identify with Bridget’s embarrassing moments And who can forget the classic line: “This is an occasion for genuinely tiny knickers?”

#4: Sleepless in Seattle – Recently widowed man’s son calls a radio show to try and find his father a new partner. All together now: “awwww”.

#3: 10 Things I Hate About You – He’s a bad boy, she’s closed off and aggressive, but they find love and become possibly the cutest couple ever.

#2: Love Actually – Who can resist the selection box of drool-worthy men – possibly yummier than the home-made chocolate. Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson…These guys can be our Valentines any day.

#1: Valentines Day – An obvious choice, this film follows couples as they deal with the pressures and expectations the 14th February brings.

Don’t Celebrate

For those of you not convinced by our recent article on reasons to celebrate V-day then the best thing to do is not to celebrate. This is easy to follow and easy on the bank balance- win, win!

There you have it then, fun and flirty Valentine’s day dates that do not plunge you further into the red!

Photo Credits: www.pinterest.com, quintessentially-ariel.tumblr.com, biebersfashionista.tumblr.com, yolo-only-live-once.tumblr.com

English and Classics at Exeter University, News Editor for the Exeter Tab, student blogger, Moon Project Marketing and Editing intern, cat enthusiast, herbal tea lover.