Katie De Salis, Alice Carver and Charlie Dowden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week’s campus celebs come from our very own HCX team! We are so proud of them and wish them all the best for their Jailbreak adventure! 

Names: Katie De Salis, Alice Carver and Charlie Dowden

Years: First

Courses: Psychology, Geography, and Film Studies and French

Hi Girlies (& boy!), we hear that you will be taking part in RAGs jailbreaks in the next few weeks, what does this consist of?

We have 30 hours to get as far away from Exeter as possible with absolutely no money, fundraising for four worthwhile charities along the way.

What inspired you to take part?

We were so impressed by how everyone did in the last one and thought it was a fun, unique and challenging way to raise money for RAG charities.

When will the trip be running?

The Jailbreak officially sets off at 11am on 30th May. It sets off from the Forum, come see us off!

That is brilliant, can you tell a little more about the charities that RAG are supporting?

This year RAG are supporting four great charities:

Local Charity: Devon Freewheelers – they offer an out of hours free urgent/emergency motorcycle courier service to the NHS.

National Charity: Rainbow Trust – Rainbow Trust Children’s Charity provides emotional and practical support to families who have a child with a life threatening or terminal illness.

International Charity: Concern Universal – Concern Universal is an International Development charity tackling poverty in some of the world’s poorest communities in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Last year alone they helped improve the lives of over 2.2 million people.

Sister Society: Community Action – CA provides students with the opportunity to volunteer, enhancing their development and benefiting the wider community.

How far are you hoping to travel? Have you had any travel inspirations from the last round of jailbreak?

We’ve discussed New York and Australia (high ambitions), but realistically we’d like to get further than Taunton and hopefully out of the UK!

Can we do anything to support you on your mission?

Yes! Please sponsor us here.

Also follow us on our twitter page @itchyfeetescape which we’ll be regularly updating on the journey.

Is it too late for others to sign up for the opportunity?

Sign ups have just been extended to 20th May so sign up now.

Do you have any travel necessities that you will be taking with you on the trip? A team mascot perhaps?

We’ll definitely be bringing signs to hitchhike with and some eye-catching fancy dress and Itchy Feet are giving us some jumpers to keep us warm as they are sponsoring us!

Have you got a plan of action for the trip or are you going to play it by ear?

Itchy Feet have been really generous and are helping us out and we hope to meet people along the way who will help us to travel further.

We’ve also asked the charities to nominate us a list of challenges to complete on the way so keep an eye on our twitter page for updates!

Is this the first trip of this kind that you have undergone?

We’ve all been travelling before but this will be the first time with no money whatsoever so it will definitely be a challenge!

Tell us your most embarrassing travel moments?

Bad tan lines!

What have you got planned for the summer after Jailbreak is over?

Alice: Travelling around Asia for the whole summer.

Katie: Working at Wimbledon then au pairing in France.

Charlie: Interrailing then travelling America and working in London.

Finally how does it feel to be campus celebrities?

We’re thrilled to be able to promote such great causes, and we hope to inspire others to get involved or donate to the great work these charities do. Thanks to Natalie Rubner for organising the event!