Katie Barber & Megan Revell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Names: Katie Barber and Megan Revell

Year: 3rd

What made you decide to start up a blog?

In all honesty it all started as an employability thing, we both want to work in creative industries so thought it would give us interview ammunition. However, it soon spiralled from a CV builder to a borderline obsession! Now that third-year has kicked in though it has become more of an enjoyable habit. We don’t really do it for the page views (especially when we know it’s only our Mum’s that are half-heartedly reading it), and do it more for the pleasure of writing and designing. However we do still have to put up with the occasional sarcastic comment…. “Why don’t you blog about it?”

Why the name ‘Culture Vultures’?

Well The Man Repeller was already taken, and we’d been insulted/complimented on being ‘culture vultures’ before. Plus we couldn’t think of anything else, really… we struggled. Oddly enough we both thought of using “culture vultures” separately, and when fate hands you a gift like that you just can’t ignore it! It’s supposed to be mildly ironic, although as people probably know sarcasm is a lot harder to pull of in print (as you can tell from this interview!).

In your mind, what defines a ‘culture vulture’?

There is a section on the blog about this, we couldn’t quite decide if a culture vulture was an insulting or descriptive term. Seeing as self-deprecation usually wins people over, it’s usually the former! Basically a culture vulture is a profoundly pretentious specimen who, like us, is “all talk and no game”, especially on the art front! Read: someone who has a big interest for all things cultural, but doesn’t really have any expertise on the topic to back up their pompous opinions.

Why did you decide to do a collaborative blog instead of going solo?

Sheer lack of balls. We are advocates of the whole safety in numbers, travel in a pack thing. Plus it seemed a lot less work and less intimidating to do it together. It’s like doing a joint house party, if no one shows up at least it’s not just you that looks like a loser. Also as people who know us will probably agree we are really good friends, but chalk and cheese. So we work quite well together (we hope!)

Do you each have a favourite post from Culture Vultures?

Katie: I really like a current thing we do which is a monthly Moodboard. It is by far my favourite post to create. It has basically given me an outlet for all those bookmarks I have been saving up over the years of images I really like. We are also delving into the more opinion piece-esque genre, although that makes it sound a lot more high-brow than it really is. It is basically a lame attempt at humour through sweeping generalizations and unfounded societal statements – so worth a read!

Megan: I always enjoy reading and writing the travel posts, probably because they are always the topics I drool over on other people’s blogs, and it’s a way for me to vicariously leave Lawsok and pretend I am partying it up in Sweden or swanning around the streets of Rome. I am also really enjoying writing a post at the moment entitled “Is Art Porn for Posh People” – You can read that particular post here

Do you think in contemporary society it is important to have ‘your own little piece of the internet’?

Not at all, in fact we actively discourage it because if everyone did people would figure out how awful we actually are and stop reading our blog! However we are both big fans of the internet, we can say this knowingly because our broadband connection is currently down, so we find ourselves relying on the Vic’s free connection for sheer survival.

What would your advice be to anyone wanting to launch a successful blog?

We’re not 100% sure we’re at the delving-out-advice stage yet, in fact we’re confident that we’re not. There are some areas of blogging that we quite frankly suck at (e.g. Social Media – if any of you are interested in filling the spot of CV Media Manager we pay in love, affection and Twining’s.) One piece of advice we can say is that it’s obviously more natural to write about things you want to talk about, rather than what you think people want to read.

What are your favourite ‘Cultural’ past times?

Instagramming overly decorated vegetable cakes, taking notes from Martha Stewart’s craft books in Waterstones (because we are too stingy to shell out the thirty quid for it), and making lofty but unfounded opinions on the design industry, when actually we know diddly squat. 

Be sure to have a read of Culture Vultures, visit their Facebook and Twitter pages to stay up to date with their most recents posts 

Laura is a third year English Literature student at the University of Exeter. Laura has been a member of Her Campus since 2012, when she decided it was time to actually get involved in something CV worthy. Since joining HCX Laura has been heavily involved with the Culture team writing on everything from film reviews to blogging about what to do on your day off. Having never been involved in journalism before Laura has been pleasantly surprised by how much she has enjoyed her time at HCX. This year Laura is lucky enough to be the editor of Local Culture, and is relishing the excuse to explore Exeter in search of article ideas instead of tackling her extensive reading list. When Laura isn't writing for Her Campus, or staring aimlessly at her laptop in the library hoping a first class essay will miraculously appear, she loves to socialise with friends and explore the area surrounding Exeter (especially if it involves a beach).This summer Laura will be interning at OK! Magazine in their online department, as well as gaining work experience in the press office at Arsenal Football Club. Laura will also be relaxing with friends and family and booking as many holidays as possible. After University Laura wants to pursue a career in public relations in the travel and lifestyle industries. She intends to put off becoming an adult for at least another year by embarking on the classic 'gap year' experience and travelling the world- all in the aid of her future career of course...