How to Relight the Fire in a Long-Term Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If you’re in or have ever been in a long-term relationship, you’ll know it’s hard work. Yes of course you still love your SO but it’s all too easy to let things slide when you’re 2/3 years in. So, here’s some ideas to help you reignite the spark, if you will, spice things up. Whatever you wanna call it, you’ll thank us later.

Date Night

Yes, it may sound corny, but there’s a lot to be said for setting aside a bit of time in your no doubt busy schedules for your partner. Switch your devices off and get out of your comfort zone, and you’ll both appreciate the effort that the other has put in. Even if it’s just talking about what you’ve done with your day, a little bit of inane conversation will go a long way.

It’s the little things

Make them dinner, or just a brew, or just spontaneously buy something you know they’ll like. It doesn’t have to be a big thing, in fact usually a small gesture out of the blue will mean more to them. They’ll know you’re thinking of them even when you’re not together, and that you care enough to go a little bit out of their way for them. No one wants to feel like an old pair of gloves.

Spice up your sex life 

Yes, we said it. Things can get boring and a key aspect of a relationship is intimacy. It doesn’t necessarily have to be set aside time, just pull them aside and give them a smooch once in a blue moon. There’s nothing quite like a bit of a tease to keep things interesting.

Communication

Now this one cannot be underrated. Communication is the main key to any relationship and if it breaks down then it’s hard to repair. If you’re together, talk to each other, don’t sit in silence. And if there’s something wrong then share it. The whole reason you would be with someone for so long is because you actually like their company. The more you speak, hopefully you’ll remember just how much you like each other.

So, the nub and gist is that you need to put the effort in. If you’ve read this article then you’re obviously somewhat keen to make a change and your partner should respect that. Don’t let things fall apart, you have to put the effort in just like anything in life. And you’ll soon realise that the effort is so worth it.