How To Look Like Your Favourite TV Show Heroine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

While people may think that uni is all about getting a degree, having a full social life and discovering who you are, here at HCX we know that it’s really all about binging on TV shows with a bar of trusty Dairy Milk. Having spent many an evening tucked up in bed with nothing but Netflix for company, it’s safe to say we are rather expert when it comes to knowing the best TV shows to watch. From Daenerys Targaryen, to Emma Swan, to Jessica Jones, we have more than a fair few role models who we just wish we could be. While we may not be getting any baby dragons, or inheriting any super powers just yet, through the wonderful world of fashion we have found a way for us to live vicariously through our favourite heroines, where we can embody our favourite shows in the most stylish way possible. 

Game of Thrones

We can’t deny our passionate love for Game of Thrones. It’s all we can do to contain ourselves for the highly anticipated new series (25th April – mark your calendars ladies), as we wait with bated breath to see if our favourite night watchman will be resurrected (we can’t live without that mop of hair). But it’s not just Jon Snow that has our hearts aflutter, some of the costumes are simply to die for. If you want to look as hot as the mother of dragons, look no further than a flowing white dress to add a queenly edge to your look. Add some silver jewellery and gladiator sandals to give your outfit an exotic twist and be sure to perfect your braided hair to complete the look in a way that would make even Khaleesi proud.                                                                                                                                                                       

Once Upon a Time 

The show that has everything: magic, misunderstood villains and sexy flirtatious pirates. Once Upon a Time has captured our hearts, and we can’t seem to tear ourselves away from watching it on Netflix. Yes it may be a bit cheesy, but we all need a bit of cringeyness in our life from time to time, and besides, who doesn’t dream of getting to dress up like they’ve stepped out of a fairytale? We know we do. To accomplish that everyday Emma Swan look, wear a red jacket over a white tank top to help make you stand out from the crowd. Pair with some black skinny jeans and brown thigh high lace up boots to finish off that chic ‘saviour’ look. But if you’re feeling a bit more ‘dark’ and ‘villainous’, add some Regina influence to give your outfit more of a ‘night time’ edge. Choose a dark purple fitted dress to show off those curves, and accessorise with some stiletto black shoes and a sparkling necklace. You’re sure to be the fairest of them all.                                                                                  

The Walking Dead

Ever fancied yourself as a zombie apocalypse survival pro? We know we have. That’s why we can’t get enough of The Walking Dead this year. Action, zombies and Norman Reedus riding around in leather on a motorbike, what’s not to love? But who said you can’t look fabulous in an apocalypse? Take a leaf out of Maggie’s book with some light khaki trousers, a tight black tank top, and some statement black lace up boots, you’ll be knocking out the zombies with your hot apocalypse look. When armageddon hits you’ll be more than a match for it.                                                                

Orange is the New Black 

Another one of our Netflix favourites, Orange is the New Black is all about girl power, friendship and fighting for what you believe in and it’s definitely our favourite go to show for when we need a little butt-kicking motivation. With a sensational cast of memorable and feisty female leads, if you are ever in the need for a fiery and motivational outfit, look no further than OITNB for a bit of inspiration. We are well aware that orange is not a colour that everyone feels they can pull off, so rather than looking at the inmate look, we thought we’d take a page out of Alex Vause’s pre-prison style. Sassy, bold and daring, be sure to wear a white print t-shirt underneath a black biker jacket to get that essential Alex look. Finish off with some skinny jeans and statement black ankle boots to add some edge to you look, and accessorise with long pendant jewellery and a stand out hair-do to make the outfit unforgettable, just like Alex’s bold personality.                                                                   

Jessica Jones

Ok so maybe we have a slight Netflix addiction problem, but can you really blame us with all these fantastic shows? It’s definitely easier to convince ourselves to put on another episode of Jessica Jones rather than study. An ex-superhero turned bad ass detective? We stood no chance. And who can resist dressing up like a superhero? Casual yet totally stylish, Jessica Jones has a style we can’t help but envy. To get her look, all you need is some pale blue jeans, some cute black calf boots and a classic black leather jacket. To complete the look add a grey scarf to keep the chill away and add some bright red lipstick to give a vibrant splash of colour that will definitely add a ‘super’ edge to your style.                                                                 

Netflix has never looked so good

Photo Credits: 

http://haralee.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Khaleesi-with-dragons.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/–MXHsRY_JZU/VXWxJawVpLI/AAAAAAAAvro/6tkgzOaanDk/s640/bdaf0092b6b081f40bd210fe90e4f67e.jpg

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/once-emma.jpg

http://cdn.hitfix.com/photos/5867517/walking-dead-maggie.jpg

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-08/7/17/enhanced/webdr08/enhanced-18237-1407448444-5.png

http://cdn2-www.craveonline.com/assets/uploads/2015/09/Jessica-Jones-Featured.jpg

Bethany is a third year english student studying at Exeter University and is the Fashion and Beauty Editor for Exeter's chapter of Her Campus. In between shopping for the latest trends and reading the latest celebrity gossip and fashion news, she enjoys working out and improving on her fitness. Bethany is also a keen photographer, often seen snapping photos of the night sky and friends. She dreams of travelling the world and discovering its couture, food and sites, and ultimately becoming a successful writer.