HCX Reviews…Dirty Decadence: Drama On Pointe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If you’ve ever thought ballet was boring, think again. Dirty Decadence takes ballet away from tradition and into a modern twist of drama. Theatre with Teeth’s production is produced and co-directed by Benjamin Seward and Kate Lines.

The show is based around a group of close friends who get together to have an alcohol-fuelled weekend away. Think of a Made in Chelsea dinner party, but danced rather than spoken. Their elegance quickly diminishes as more alcohol is consumed and the drama unfolds. The three guys and four girls find themselves wrapped up in a night of affairs, fights, kissing and anger.

Danced to a soundtrack of classical music remixed with dub-step, this performance brings a fresh take on your typical ballet. You still have your impressive pirouettes, high legs and beautiful lifts, but all with a pinch of sassiness and a heated atmosphere. The audience are quickly wrapped up in the drama as the tension builds and eventually explodes when a turn of events happen.  

Dirty Decadence is being taken to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival this summer, representing Theatre with Teeth. However there is still a chance to catch it here in Exeter as the show opens this week. It is being performed at the Phoenix Theatre on both the 3rd and 4th of June. Tickets can be bought online at here, or through the box office for just £7.

It really isn’t one to miss.

Hi everyone! My name is Aimee Corry and I'm currently a second year Drama student at Exeter University.